Maryfield LSL S NO244018 1 130m
Maryfield 1828 SGF
Maryfield 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn
pn (St) Mary + Sc field
There was a chapel of the Blessed Virgin Mary within the cemetery of the parish kirk of Leslie in the later middle ages. It is first mentioned in 1321, when it was the subject of litigation between Inchcolm Abbey and Richard of Kirkcaldy, rector of the church of Melville MLO (Inchcolm Chrs. no. 32; see also LSL Introduction). Its lands are referred to in a document of 1556, which describes a tenement in the burgh of Leslie on the south side containing ‘twa rudis of land fra the front thairof to the wattir of Levin lyand betwix the lands of James Quhayne on est syd and the landis of the Blist Virgen Mare on the West syd’ (NAS NP1/19 no. 87). Maryfield is about 1 km west of the parish kirk, and probably represented a detached piece of land dedicated to the upkeep of the chapel. In the 1930s the farm called Maryfield lay between Croft Outerly and the new cemetery, and the name is preserved in the street names Maryfield Crescent and Maryfield Gardens on the site.
Mary is also commemorated in the field-name Lady Well Park shown in 1811 on RHP3640, north-east of the parish kirk (with the Lothrie Burn forming its west march).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 2