Leslie LSL PS NO255020 1 100m

Georgio domino le Lesly super Levyne 1457 Dunf. Reg. no. 452 [‘to George Lord (the) Leslie on Leven’]
(vicar of) Lesly 1474 Inchcolm Chrs. 127
(teinds of the kirk of) Lesle 1484 Inchcolm Chrs. 231
(teinds of the kirk of) Lesly 1489 Inchcolm Chrs. 231
domini<um> de Lesly 1502 RMS ii no. 2660 [lordship of Leslie]
(barony of) Lesly 1504 RMS ii no. 2788
quartam partem terrarum dominicalium de Leslie 1510 RMS ii no. 3511 [to Andrew Barton (Bertoun) various lands including a quarter of the mains lands of Leslie called the Easter Quarter (le Ester-Quarter)]
Thomas Smytht in Leslye 1522 Fife Ct. Bk. 271
villam de Lesley 1539 RMS iii no. 1992 [king again (de novo) makes the town of Leslie into a free burgh of barony with free fairs (fre-fairis) yearly on the day of St Michael the Archangel (29 September)]
the temple of Lesly 1540 Knights of St John 25 [4 s.]
kirk of Leslie alias Fethill 1555 Inchcolm Chrs. 212
Lesle-greyne 1555 NAS RH2/1/23/3 [‘twa rudis of land lyand in the burgh of Lesle-greyne fra the front to the Wattir of Levin betwix Johne Maissoun on the west and the said Andro on the est’]
Johnne Maysoun burgess of Leslie 1556 NAS NP1/19 no. 87 [John Mason]
burgess of Lesliegreyn 1556 NAS RH2/1/23/3 no. 56 [a transumpt of NAS NP1/19 no. 87, which has simply Leslie (see preceding entry)]
kirkcroft of Leslie 1558 Inchcolm Chrs. 234 [in the parish of Leslie]
Kirkcroft of Leslie 1605 Inchcolm Chrs. 227
parochin of Lesly 1605 Inchcolm Chrs. 227
le Kirkcroft de Leslie 1614 RMS vii no. 994
terras templarias de Lessie 1614 RMS vii no. 1100 col. 4 [sic, for *Leslie; ‘temple lands of Leslie’ held by the earl of Rothes]
lands and barony of Leslie 1642 Retours (Fife) no. 619 [see discussion]
Lesly K<irk> 1642 Gordon MS Fife
Lesly 1654 Blaeu (Pont) East Fife
Lesly C<astle> 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Lesly 1753 Roy sheet 18, 1
Lesly house 1753 Roy sheet 18, 1
Leslie 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Leslie House 1775 Ainslie/Fife [‘Earl of Rothes’]
Leslie-house 1790s OSA, 591 [‘a magnificent seat ... burnt to the ground on 28th December 1763’]
Lesslie 1827 Ainslie/East Fife [for both parish and settlement]

pn Leslie

This is a family name which derives ultimately from Leslie ABD, and which, from the fifteenth century, gradually replaced Fettykil, the earlier name for settlement and parish. For details see LSL Introduction, From Fettykil to Leslie, and Fettykil LSL, above.

    In 1539 the lands and barony of Leslie were re-granted to George earl of Rothes with castle, fortalice, mills, etc., advowson of the churches and chaplainries, along with the lands of Kennoway (Kynnochy) KWY (RMS iii no. 1992). The Leslie lands are unitemised, except for Drumain (Drowmane) LSL, which was granted to George’s spouse Agnes Somerville (Somervile) in life-rent, and a quarter of the mains lands of Leslie called the Easter Quarter (the Estir-quarter),[191] and a quarter of Ballingall (Ballingall) LSL, which were granted to Margaret Crichton (Creichtoun), also in life-rent. For the lands of Kennoway, which are itemised in this charter, see KWY Introduction, Lands.

    The lands and barony of Leslie, held by John earl of Rothes, are itemised in 1642 as follows: the lands and burgh of Leslie, the lands of Balgeddie (Pittgeddie), Ballingall (Bangae), Pitkevy (Pitca<u>y), Formontills (Fromonthill), Holl (Holl), Drumaird (Drummaird), Meikle and Little Balquhomrie (Mekill et Littill Balquhumries), Balgothrie (Balgothrie), Drumain (Drummaine), Strathenry (Strathenrie) with its mill, Balsillie (Ballsillie) and Pitcairn (Pitcairne), all of which are in LSL, as well as lands in KWY (for which see KWY Introduction).


This place-name appeared in printed volume 2