Ingrie LSL S NO237020 1 373 145m SEF

Ingrie 1600 NAS Calendar of Charters no. 3666 [Thomas Forrester of Strathenry (Strathenrie) and Elizabeth Learmonth (Leirmonth) his spouse with consent of George Forrester his son and heir, and Robert Forrester of Boquhan (Boquhane, Gargunnock STL), in favour of Isobel Forrester, daughter of Thomas, and her heirs etc., of an annual rent of 100 merks from the lands of Ingrie and mills of Strathenry (Strathenrie) in the parish of Leslie]
Ingery 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife [not on Blaeu (Pont) East or West Fife]
Ingry 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Ingrie 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn

? G iongrach or G iongar + – in

‘Suppurating (with water), oozing (place); place of ooze’, containing G iongar (Old Irish ingor ‘pus, matter’) with an adjectival or locational ending? This would appear to be the same as the second element in Ballingry (PNF 1).

    A cross is recorded as having formerly stood immediately below the old farm-house, and the site is marked on the OS 6 inch 1st edition just east of the farm-house (NO238020). NSA ix, 111 footnote records the following, the writer (The Rev. James Nicol) influenced by his own fanciful analysis of the name Ingrie as deriving from Gaelic Eglisi-an-ri ‘the King’s chapel’: ‘No vestige of this religious establishment now remains, except the name and the fount for baptism or holy water, now standing in the dike, on the north side of the road, immediately below the old farm steading, where formerly stood the cross, and still so called by the older natives, the cross of Ingri (sic) to this day.’ This ‘fount’ would seem to be the base of the vanished Cross of Ingrie. It is socketed for a shaft pillar and now stands on the front lawn of Strathenry House (NMRS NO20SW 7). On Ainslie/Fife (1775) a ‘Roman Stone’ is marked on the north side of the main road from Leslie to Auchmuir just east of where Ingrie Avenue meets that road. This probably refers to the above-mentioned ‘fount’ or cross-base. It has been garbled on Ainslie/West Fife (1827) to Rananstone.

    The Rev. James Nicol, author of NSA, proposed other fanciful Gaelic derivations for places in the parish, mainly involving royalty, such as Strathhendry, which he would derive from Strath-an-ri ‘the King’s park or forest’; Balquhonvie (sic, for Balquhomrie), which he would derive from Bal-quhom-ri ‘the King’s Grass Town’, and Bingartree (q.v.) (111 footnote).

    Locally it is referred to with the definite article, the Ingrie, pronounced /ðəˈɪŋrɪ/ or /ðəˈɪŋərɪ/.[190]

This place-name appeared in printed volume 2