Temple LAR S NO425026 1 374 10m
Tempel 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Temple 1828 SGF
Temple Hill 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn [Temple as such is not marked]
This name referred to land granted to, or whose rents supported, the Knights Templar. It formed part of the lands of Strathairly LAR, and was known as the temple lands of Strathairly or Sandyhillock # in 1497 (for which see Strathairly, above). Elsewhere in LAR temple lands are listed in Balcormo, Lundin (Lundie) and *Thorn of Lundin (Spinam de Lundie) (1645 Retours (Fife) no. 690).
Cunningham refers to ‘the village ... of the Temple’ the easternmost of a string of villages along the coast here, the others being Drummochy and Lower Largo (1907, 32).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 2