Muirton LAR S NO388026 1 35m

Murtoun 1528 ER xv 661 [in barony of Lundin (Lundy)]
Over Mortoun c.1550 N. Berwick Cart. p. xxii
Vester Mortoun c.1550 N. Berwick Cart. p. xxii
O. Moortoune 1654 Blaeu (Pont) East Fife
M. Moortoune 1654 Blaeu (Pont) East Fife [M perhaps V or W, for N<ether>?]
the Westmourton of Lundie 1654 Lamont’s Diary 67 [Robert Duncan died there]
Moor Town 1775 Ainslie/Fife [in SCO]
Lundin Muirtown Lands 1798 RHP866/2
Moortown 1827 Ainslie/East Fife [in SCO]
Muirtown 1828 SGF [in LAR]
Muirton 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
Muirton 1889 Blacketyside Plan [also shows the fields of West Muirton and South Muirton]

Sc muir + Sc toun

‘Farm on the muir (of Lundin)’, it is shown on OS 6 inch (1855). By 1889 it had been taken into the farm of Blacketyside SCO, which is why that farm now lies in the two parishes of LAR and SCO. It was commemorated in the three field-names in the south-east corner of Blacketyside, Muirton, South Muirton and West Muirton (see Blacketyside Plan 1889). Other field-names on that plan on the Muirton part of Blacketyside were Cow Park, Dargs and South Dargs.

This place-name appeared in printed volume 2