Largo LAR PS NO423034 1 374 50m SEF

de Largau 1140 x 1152 W1 and W2 ?5 [early 14th c. copy; see Appendix 1, below]
ecclesiam de Largach x 1199 SHS Misc IV, 308 [granted to North Berwick Priory by Malcolm, son of Earl Duncan (who was a witness to the charter)]
ecclesiam de Largav 1202 x 1214 N. Berwick Cart. no. 8 [William bishop of St Andrews, confirms Earl Duncan’s grant to North Berwick nunnery; for dating, see N. Berwick Cart. Syllabus, 1]
ecclesiam de Largach 1212 x 1214 RRS ii no. 516 [o.c.; ‘probably 1213’; also printed N. Berwick Cart. no. 9, with facsimile; royal confirmation of the grants of Earl Duncan II of Fife, and of his son Malcolm, to North Berwick nunnery]
ecclesia de Largath 1243 Paris BN MS latin 1218, fo 2v [consecrated by David de Bernham, bishop of St Andrews, 17 July (‘xvi k<a>l<ends> Augusti’)]
ecclesia de Largauch c.1250 St A. Lib. 33
ecclesia de Largauch’ c.1250 Dunf. Reg. no. 313 p. 208
vicarius de Largac’ 1275 Bagimond’s Roll, p. 37 [editor reads contraction after c as h, but states that it could also be read -us]
vicarius de Largath 1276 Bagimond’s Roll, p. 62 [MS has stroke through ascender of h]
apud Largauch 1285 x 1364 RMS i no. 183 [Alexander III charter dated ‘at Largo’]
Knoklargauch c.1300 Dunf. Reg. no. 335 [Largo Law; NBN Introduction, Med. Marches no. 4]
Largau 1428 SAUL B13/22/3 [o.c.]
Largo 1451 RMS ii no. 406
de firmis cotagiorum et brasinarum de Largow 1451 ER v, 466 [see PNF 5, Appendix 3]
de carbonaria de Largow 1451 ER v, 466 [see PNF 5, Appendix 3]
unam liberam baroniam de Largo 1513 RMS ii no. 3880 [see LAR Introduction]
(Andrew Wood of) Largo 1522 Fife Ct. Bk. 251
Largow 1642 Gordon MS Fife
Largow Law 1642 Gordon MS Fife
Largo burnmouth 1642 Gordon MS Fife
Largo 1654 Blaeu (Pont) East Fife
Largo law 1654 Blaeu (Pont) East Fife
Largow C<astle> 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Largow law 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Largow K<irk> 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife [shown in the area of Lower Largo]
Largou burnemouth 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
baroniam de Largo 1662 Retours (Fife) no. 920 [the barony of Largo, including ‘the lands and mains lands of the barony of Largo, and their cots or cottars’ houses; the burgh of barony the *Nethertown and *Seatown of Largo, the harbour of Largo on either side of its burn-mouth’ (terras terrasque dominicales vulgo Maynes baroniae de Largo, et cottagia earundem; burgum baroniae de Largo lie Nethertoun et Seatoun; portum de Largo super utroque latere torrentis ostii ejusdem)]
burgum baroniae de Largo 1671 Retours (Fife) no. 1071 [‘burgh of barony of Largo, the Netherton and Seaton, port and haven of Largo’ (lie Nethirtoune et Seatoune; port et havin de Largo)]
Largo 1753 Roy sheet 18, 1 [shown twice, once for Lower Largo, once for Upper Largo or Kirkton of Largo]
Lower Largo 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Upper Largo 1775 Ainslie/Fife
House of Largo 1775 Ainslie/Fife [= OS Pathf. Largo House]
Largo House 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn [NO420034]
Lower Largo 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
Kirkton of Largo 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn

G learg + - ach

‘Place on a slope or hill-side’, the hill-side being the southern slopes of Largo Law, the highest hill in Fife east of the Lomonds and south of the Ochils. For the ‘adjectival toponymic suffix’ –ach see Ó Maolalaigh 1998, 38–44. From the fifteenth century onwards the written form of the name shows remarkable consistency. The modern local pronunciation, as if it were spelled ‘Lairgie’ or ‘Lergie’ (see pronunciation, below), shows the standard development of this name in Scots. However, so strong is the traditional written form that the Scots form is found only in speech.

    The NGR given is for the church in Upper Largo or Kirkton of Largo. Largo House, shown on Blaeu (Gordon) Fife in 1654 as Largow C. (for Castle), is at NO420034.

    OS Pathf. shows Largo Home Farm, Largo House (rems of), Largo House, Lower Largo, Largo Law and Largo Burn (for more on which see Keil Burn LAR). Also ‘Kirkton of Largo or Upper Largo’. Some changes have taken place between OS Pathf. and OS Explorer (2001): OS Pathf. ‘Largo House (rems of)’ is shown on OS Explorer as ‘Dovecot’; OS Pathf. ‘Largo House’ is shown on OS Explorer as ‘Largo House (rems of)’.

    /ˈlargo/ locally /ˈlergɪ/ or /ˈlɛrgɪ/

This place-name appeared in printed volume 2