Chesterstone LAR S NO427041 1 374 95m SOF
Chesterstone 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Chesterstone 1799 RHP22853 [Plan of Monturpie NBN]
Chesterston 1827 Ainslie/East Fife
Chesterstone 1828 SGF
Chesterstone 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
Sc chester + ? Sc stane
The first element is Sc chester, used to refer to remains in the landscape perceived to be an old fortification. Its earliest recorded use in Scotland comes from a 1235-charter relating to Caiplie KRY (see KRY Introduction for more details). The chester element also appears in 1630 in the name *Nether Chesters (Nather Chesteris), and this may be directly linked to the later Chesterstone. It was one of the mains lands of Largo held by Thomas Alexander, portionar of Drumeldrie NBN (Retours no. 446; see LAR Introduction for the other lands involved). In the light of the early forms, the second element is probably Sc stane (Englished stone), rather than Sc toun.
There is nothing in the area recorded by NMRS that might be a possible chester, unless it be a perceived fort on Largo Law (for which see Auchindownie LAR). That there might have been other remains in the lowland part of the parish is suggested by Keirs LAR (q.v.), which lies immediately south of Chesterstone, and perhaps also by the field-name on Monturpie NBN called Carmiles # (q.v.), unless they, too, refer to Largo Law.
A plan of Chesterstone farm made in 1872 (RHP4458) shows the following field-names (running clockwise from north-west): Wormwell, Large Wormwell, Birsie Myre Park, Honeybroom, East Bank, Barn baugh, Beloughty, Hospital Park, Glebe (to east of Hospital Park), Fore Park, Calf Park (by farm house), Cocks Croft. Of these names, Hospital Park refers to the hospital built by Sir John Wood in Largo in 1659, who bequeathed money for this purpose, for the care of thirteen poor and indigent people. It was rebuilt in the nineteenth century, the original building being dilapidated.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 2