town and lands of Notinghame 1666 x 1667 RMS xi no. 1072 [to Archibald Stirling (Striveling)]
Nottingham 1755 RHP23503 [‘Nottingham’s land’]
Notinghame 1770 RHP23504 [‘A Plan and Division of Forthar Common’; Nottingham is the property of Mr Thomson]
Notinghame 1793 RHP2581
Robert Thomson of Nottingham 1811 Sasines no. 9039
Nottingham 1813 RHP23586 [field-names given]
Nottingham 1828 SGF
It is not clear whether this name was transferred from one or other of the places of this name, either the well-known English town or the farm of Nottingham CAI, for which see Black 1946, 633, under Nothingham (sic), or was derived from a family name (as is, for example, Winchester SSL, PNF 3). From the charter to Archibald Stirling of 1667, Nottingham was obviously part of the lands and barony of Forthar, along with the mains of Forthar, the mill and mill-lands of Freuchie and the mill, town and lands of Hilton of Forthar (Hiltoun of Forther) (RMS xi no. 1072).
The field-names in 1813 on RHP23586 include: Balbirnie Planting (NO293054, a planting of trees, named after Balfour of Balbirnie, who was then proprietor of these lands); Couden Park (NO290055), Cottage Park (OS Pathf. Nottingham Cottage is in the corner of this field), Cult Park (NO291056), Hilton Park (NO298054, marching with OS Pathf. Hilton of Forthar), Pepperknows (NO297054), and Quarry Park (named after the Lime Quarry in its north-east corner). With reference to the above Couden Park, note that on a 1755 plan of the lands of Forthar there is a Cowden Well Park (RHP23503), while in 1811 Robert Thomson of Nottingham is seised in land in the ‘enclosure called Caudonbrae Park’ (Sasines no. 9039).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 2