Hilton Of Forthar
(the mill, town and lands of) Hiltoun of Forther 1666 x 1667 RMS xi no. 1072 [part of the lands and barony of Forthar, along with the mains of Forthar, Nottingham KTT, and the mill and mill-lands of Freuchie; see Forthar MAI, KFX for more details]
? Hill Forthar 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
? Fotharhill 1753 Roy sheet 18, 1
Upper Hilltown 1775 Ainslie/Fife [at Ainslie/East Fife N<ethe>r Hilton?]
Nether Hilltown 1775 Ainslie/Fife [at Ainslie/East Fife Up<pe>r Hilton?]
Up<pe>r Hilton 1827 Ainslie/East Fife [= OS Pathf. Hilton of Forthar KTT]
N<ethe>r Hilton 1827 Ainslie/East Fife [shown in KTT south-east of Upper Hilton, but does not correspond to any known site; possibly a displaced reference to OS 6 inch 1856 Nether Hilton # MAI, which see below]
Hilton 1828 SGF [= OS Pathf. Hilton of Kirkforthar MAI]
Hilton of Kirkforthar 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn [= OS Pathf. Hilton of Forthar KTT; OS Pathf. Hilton of Kirkforthar is marked as a settlement but not named on OS 6 inch 1st edn]
Hilton of Kirkforther 1888 x 1914 OS 6 inch County Series, 1st revision [one of two places called Hilton of Kirkforthar on the map, the other being Hilton of Kirkforthar MAI]
Hilton of Forthar 1900 x 1949 OS 6 inch County Series, 2nd revision
Sc hilltoun + Sc of + en Forthar
‘Hill farm of Forthar’. While the meaning is clear, the shifting referents and affixes of the basic place-name Hilton in this upland area of the old parish of Forthar KFX (later split between KTT and MAI) lead to a very confused situation in the modern period. This confusion is reflected already in the two versions of Ainslie’s map of Fife, Ainslie/Fife (1775) and Ainslie/East Fife (1827). On Ainslie/Fife (1775) two sites are shown, both in KTT: Nether Hilltown and Upper Hilltown, and of these Upper Hilltown lies to the east of Nether Hilltown. On this 1775 map Upper Hilltown probably represents Hilton of Kirkforthar MAI, even though it is shown partly in KTT and partly on the MAI/KTT boundary. If this is correct, then Ainslie/Fife Nether Hilltown might represent Hilton of Forthar. Strangely Ainslie/East Fife (1827) also shows Up<pe>r Hilton and N<ethe>r Hilton, but with their positions reversed vis-à-vis Ainslie/Fife, with Nether Hilton to the south-east of Upper Hilton.
SGF (1828) shows but does not name a small, dispersed settlement at the site of OS Pathf. Hilton of Forthar, while to the south-east it shows Hilton for OS Pathf. Hilton of Kirkforthar MAI, KFX.
To add to the confusion, in the 1850s the OS Name Book described Hilton of Kirkforthar thus: ‘A group of detached houses on a hill, partly in the parish of Kettle and partly in Markinch, consisting of a farmhouse ... and several cottages, some of which are feus. Geo. Johnstone Lindsay Esqr. of Kirkforthar is the proprietor’ (16, 44). But given that OS 6 inch 1st edn (1856) refers to OS Pathf. Hilton of Forthar as Hilton of Kirkforthar, and that OS Pathf. Hilton of Forthar is exactly on the parish boundary, this must be a reference to Hilton of Forthar KTT and not Hilton of Kirkforthar MAI.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 2