Star KWY S NO313034 1 373 95m
Starres 1654 Blaeu (Pont) East Fife
Star 1684 Adair/East Fife
Star of Brunton 1724 SC20/33/10 [‘Patrick Goodwillie, tenant in Star of Brunton’]
Star of Dalginch 1738 SC20/36/6. [‘Thomas Macknab, Feuar in Star of Dalginch’]
The Star 1753 Roy sheet 18, 1
Star 1775 Ainslie/Fife
the Star of Brunton 1804 Sasines no. 6832 [‘27 ruids (roods) of ground in the Star of Brunton, with a piece of ground in that place called the Boug’; in parish of Markinch]
Star of Dalginch 1812 Sasines no. 9512 [‘... Wester Cottar Acre and the Plunkie But ... lying in and about the Star of Dalginch’; in parish of Markinch]
Star of Brunton 1812 Sasines no. 9614 [‘a Brewstead in the Star of Brunton called Plunkie’]
Starr 1828 SGF
Star 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn
‘Causeway, stepping stones or crossing over wetland’. OS Pathf. also shows Star Moss to the north-west of Star, in MAI, but on Ainslie/Fife (1775) and SGF (1828) the moss or bog appears much larger, extending deep into KWY as well as into MAI. Lochend # MAI marks its western limit on Ainslie/Fife (the line between bog and loch being sometimes a blurred one, especially in winter), and it apparently extended east as far as Carriston Reservoir (c. NO328037). Modern OS maps show most of this area as low-lying bog (much drained in modern times) almost entirely enclosed by land rising to 95 or 100 m. The eponymous crossing or causeway (stair) over Star Moss is still clearly visible, running from near Star KWY to Sandy Hill. For a fuller discussion of this name, with a photograph of the causeway, see Taylor 2002.
Star is called Star of Brunton in 1724 and 1812, but Star of Dalginch in 1738. Nowadays it is usually referred to as Star of Markinch, and the local Community Council operates under that name.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 2