Pittendweem * KWY S NO348024 2

Pettenduem 1164 x 1178 St A. Lib. 259 [Merlswain’s grant; see Introduction]
Pettenduem 1164 x 1178 St A. Lib. 259 [Merlswain son of Merlswain’ grant; see Introduction]
Pettenduem 1189 x 1195 RRS ii no. 333 [= St A. Lib. 231;
Pettenduen 1228 St A. Lib. 235

G pett + G an + G + G uaimh

‘Farm or land-holding of the two caves’; alternatively, though less likely, it might be ‘farm of the cave’, with d the relic of the old definite article; however, as a fem. noun (OIr úam, gen. úama; gen. pl. úam) the fem. gen. article should not have d; and the same is true of the gen. pl. (Thurneysen 1946, § 467 f). But see the reference to Pokorny 1923 ( ZCP xiv, 270-1), and compare ibid. xx, 356. Note that Pittenweem, which contains the same generic and specific elements, as well as the definite article, and probably refers to a single cave, has its earliest form Petnewem (1140 × 1145).

    There are at least three caves in Kennoway Den, and the name probably refers to the two small caves low down near the east bank of the Kennoway Burn.[113] There is another, much larger, cave, higher up the east side of the den (at about 30 m), and further to the north. This is called ‘John Knox’s Cave’ on OS 1:25000 1st edn (1956, reprinted with minor corrections 1959). Although it no doubt started life as a natural cave, it has been thoroughly elaborated: it is rectangular, with a rectangular entrance and a stone bench right round the walls. No caves are marked or named on OS 6 inch 1st edn, and OS Pathf. simply marks ‘Caves’.

    For the tenurial history of this estate, see KWY Introduction.

This place-name appeared in printed volume 2