Newton KWY S NO339021 1 80m
Estir-Newtoun 1511 RMS ii no. 3642 [in lordship of Dalginch; see KWY Introduction]
William Cockburne of the Newtoune 1516 Fife Ct. Bk. 63
binas partes de Estir Newtoun 1546 RMS iv no. 3 [John Wardlaw grants to his son Henry and Henry’s wife Alison Hume various lands in Fife including ‘the lands of Brunton, Dalginch, two thirds of *Easter Newton, with manor, mill, apple-orchard, tenents etc’ (terras de Burnetoun, Dalginche, binas partes de Estir Newtoun cum manerio, molendino, pomerio, tenentibus etc)]
Newtoun c.1560 s Purves 155 [‘Tretoun & Newtoun’; ?9]
Eistir Newtoun 1562 RMS iv no. 1415 [see following]
Wester Newtoun 1562 RMS iv no. 1415 [to Andrew Wardlaw, ... lands of Brunton MAI, Dalginch KWY, the loch of Balfarg MAI ... Treaton KWY with its bog, Easter and Wester Newton (Eistir et Wester Newtoun)]
Newtounes Eister and Wester 1587 Assumption 15 [St Andrews Priory, teind sheaves]
Eister et Wester Newtoun 1605 RMS vi no. 1658 [Andrew Wardlaw, in barony of (Wester) Lochoreshire (Loquhorschyre)]
the Wester-Newton 1650 Lamont’s Diary 18
E. Neuton 1654 Blaeu (Pont) East Fife
W. Neuton 1654 Blaeu (Pont) East Fife
E. Newtoun 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
W. Newtoun 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Eister Newtoun 1665 Retours (Fife) no. 978
Wester Newtoun 1665 Retours (Fife) no. 978
Braemars Newtown 1753 Roy sheet 18, 1 [shown west of Lamirs Newtown; wrongly, on south side of Markinch Burn]
Lamirs Newtown 1753 Roy sheet 18, 1 [shown wrongly on south side of Markinch Burn]
Brimers Newton 1775 Ainslie/Fife [shown west of Lamonds Newton]
Lamonds Newton 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Brimers Newton 1827 Ainslie/East Fife [apparently = SGF Wester Newton, OS Pathf. Newton Hall]
Easter Newton 1828 SGF [= OS Pathf. Newton of Kingsdale]
Wester Newton 1828 SGF [= OS Pathf. Newton Hall]
Newton Hall 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn [= SGF Wester Newton i.e. Ainslie/Fife Brimers Newton]
Newton 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn [= OS Pathf. Newton of Kingsdale]
‘New farm’. It would appear that this was originally a subdivision of the lands of Dalginch KWY, MAI. It is especially closely associated with Treaton, which in turn was a division of Dalginch, so much so that in 1516 William Cockburn (Cokburne) of Treaton (Tretone) is also called ‘of the Newtoune’ (Fife Ct. Bk. 35; 47, 63).
The part called Wester Newton became known as *Brimer’s Newton some time between 1650 and 1753: Lamont’s Diary records that in 1650 ‘Maior Brymer, wha maried the young Lady Brunton, sister to Geo. Leslie, Earle of Leuin, bought the Wester-Newton ... from Robert and Andro Duries’ (p. 16). It is first recorded as *Brimer’s Newton (Braemars Newtown) on Roy’s map of 1753.
Concerning Lamonds Newton, which is first recorded in the garbled form Lamers Newtoun on Roy (1753), it was thought that it referred to the family of John Lamont, the author of the well-known diaries covering the years 1649 to 1671. Mr Constable, his first publisher (1810), stated that he was ‘of Newton, in the parish of Kennoway in Fife’ (quoted in the 1830 edition, Lamont’s Diary, v). However, the 1830 edition is less certain, and the Rev. David Bell, minister of Kennoway, completely rejects the connection between Easter Newton and the writer of the Diary (NSA ix, 378).
The NGR given is for Newton of Kingsdale (formerly Easter Newton). Newton Hall (formerly Wester Newton) lies 700 m to the west. The lands of Newton were clearly already divided by 1511, when Easter Newton (Estir-Newtoun) is first recorded.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 2