Chapel Brae KWY R NO363047 1 373 150m
Chapel Brae 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn
There is a Chapel (marked as an antiquity) on OS 6 inch (1856) at NO362048, and OS Name Book (9 or religious house which formerly stood on it.’ According to OS Name Book (25A, 10), the
‘Mr J. B. Fernie, the proprietor of Kilmux states that his father removed many years ago the ruined walls and he himself saw the foundations removed about 40 years since. He considers that it was this chapel gave rise or origin to the name of the estate of “Kilmux”. The Revd. David Bell of Kennoway is also of this opinion. There has been no remains of a burial ground found at this place. The tradition of the neighbourhood speaks of a chapel being here but nothing more is remembered concerning it. It is considered by some to have been a cell belonging to some religious establishment of convent.’ (OS Name Book 96, 10). It may well be that the interpretation of these remains as those of a chapel was inspired by the place-name Kilmux, which must have appeared to nineteenth-century locals to contain G cill ‘church’. In fact, Kilmux does not contain cill (see Kilmux KWY, below).
As would be expected in Fife Scots, it is referred to locally as /:tSep«É breù/.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 2