Balbreikie KWY S NO341025 1 95m

Balbreky 1451 ER v, 469 [from the fermes (firmis) of Balbreikie and Auldhall (Aldhall) KWY]
Balbreky 1510 RMS ii no. 3431 [king to his servant John Douglas and Isabel Wood his spouse lands of Balbreikie]
molendinum de Balbreky 1528 RMS iii no. 589 [to James Douglas; the mill of Balbreikie with lands, buildings, aqueduct (i.e. mill-lead), astrict multure and sequels]
Balbreky-Mylne 1541 RMS iii no. 2473 [to George Gourlay the mill called Balbreikie Mill and the mill land, the lands of Auldhall KWY, with the astrict multures of Cameron (Chamroun) MAI, Balbreikie (Balbreky) KWY and Ballenkirk (Ballinkerk) MAI, KWY]
Balbreky 1541 RMS iii no. 2473 [see preceding]
(James Douglas of) Bawbreky 1546 RMS iii no. 3286
(lands of) Balbreky 1546 RMS iii no. 3286
terris de Balbrekye 1579 Retours (Fife) no. 1455
Balbroky 1587 Assumption 15 [St Andrews Priory; teind sheaves]
Balbroky Myll 1587 Assumption 15 [St Andrews Priory; teind sheaves]
Balbrekiemylne 1592 Retours (Fife) no. 1502 [Andrew Wood (Wod) of Largo, in the mill called Balbreikie Mill, and its mill-land, the lands of Auldhall (Auld ...) KWY; and astrict multures of the lands of Carmeron (Camerone) MAI, Balbreikie and Ballenkirk (Ball ... kirk) MAI, KWY]
Balbrekie 1592 Retours (Fife) no. 1502 [see preceding]
Balbrekiemylne 1592 Retours (Fife) no. 1502
(lands of) Balbrekie 1619 Retours (Fife) no. 293 [ ... with the mill of ‘Balbrekie alias Kingis Mylne’ in the parish of Kennoway]
Balbrikie 1632 Retours (Fife) no. 474
Balbrekie 1654 Blaeu (Pont) East Fife
molendino de Balbreikie 1667 Retours (Fife) no. 1007 [Euphemia Simpson (Symsone) ‘in the mill of Balbreikie otherwise called King’s Mill(s) KWY’ (in molendino de Balbreikie alias vocato Kingsmylne)]
Balbriggie 1684 Adair/East Fife
Balbrickie 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Balbreiky 1828 SGF
Balbreikie 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn

G baile + G breac + –in

‘Estate of the dappled or strippit place’. That this was royal demesne land is clear not simply from the earliest records such as the Exchequer Rolls, but also from the fact that Balbreikie Mill, which appears in 1541 as Balbreky-mylne (RMS iii no. 2473), is also called King’s Mills, q.v.

    By the mid-nineteenth century it was described as ‘an old farm-house made into tenements and occupied by the farm servants of Newton of Kingsdale’ (OS Name Book 93, 16).

    On modern maps Balbreikie is represented by an unnamed ruin on a hill west of Kennoway village, but is still known locally.[96]

    /bəlˈbrikɪ/ or /bɔlˈbrikɪ/

This place-name appeared in printed volume 2