Adie # KWY S NO326034 2
Awdy 1517 RMS iii no. 148 [to George Leslie earl of Rothes; part of the barony of Ballinbreich (Ballinbreich) FLK]
Audy 1525 RMS iii no. 315
Awdy 1539 RMS iii no. 1992
Awdy 1587 Assumption 15 [St Andrews Priory, teind sheaves of Lalathan (Lalathyne) KWY with Adie]
Auldie 1603 Retours (Fife) no. 128 [lands of Auchtermairnie (Auchtermairny) KWY, Kennoway (Kennoquhie), Lalathan (Lalethyne) KWY and Adie]
terris de Audie 1642 Retours (Fife) no. 619 [John earl of Rothes, barony of Leslie]
Adieloan 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Adieloan 1827 Ainslie/East Fife
G allt + G – in
‘Place at or by a burn or burns’ etc. It contains the same elements as Aldie, Fossoway KNR, which is pronounced /:ùdI/. It may be OS Pathf. Burnside, on the south bank of Kennoway Burn, which supplies the above NGR, and which first appears on OS 6 inch 1st edn.
Adieloan is shown on Ainslie/East Fife (1827) around NO327037, which would mean that it is now under Carriston Reservoir. However, on Ainslie/Fife (1775) Adieloan is shown much nearer Lalathan. The name indicates that it lay beside the loan or cattle-track from Adie to the common grazing, perhaps on Devon Common.
SGF (1828) names none of the above (Adie, Adieloan or Burnside), although it does mark a building at or very near to the site of Burnside.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 2