Rumgally KMB S NO408148 2 50m
Rathmergullum c.1220 Terrier E [17/18th c. copy; presumably for *Rathmecgullinn or –macgullinn etc.; one of the lands belonging to the Culdees of St Andrews]
in feudo de Radmagalli 1238 x 1240 Barrow 1974 no. 6 [Michael Scott (Scotus) grants to the church of Canterbury an annual rent of 20 s. sterling ‘in his feu of Rumgally’ for lights at St Thomas’s shrine]
Ratmagallyn c.1248 St A. Lib. 310 [Cairns (Kernes) SSL and its mill given by Duncan son of Michael son of Malotheny to St Andrews Priory; foreign (forinsec) service to be done for this land by his other lands of Ecclesmartin (Eglismarten) SLO, Pitlour (Petenlouir) SLO, ANY (FIF) and Rumgally, which lands he holds by gift of his late lord, Malcolm II earl of Fife]
Robert Butlar of Ramgalle c.1438 St A. Lib. 418
James Buteler of Ramgally 1446 NRA 0153/1 [see KMB Introduction]
Rauchmakgallyn 1510 RMS ii no. 3427 [presumably for Rauthmakgallyn]
Ramgally 1529 RMS iii no. 760 [with mills, one of the lands of William Scott of Balwearie]
Rumgallie c.1560 s Purves 154 [?2]
Rumgallie c.1560 s Assumption 71 [Dura (Dury) KMB and Rumgally, prebend of St Mary on the Rock, St Andrews]
Rungallie 1635 RMS ix no. 315 [in the barony of Craighall (Craighall) CER, with fishing rights on the Ceres Burn and the Eden; see Ceres Burn, Section 1]
Rumgay 1642 Gordon MS Fife
Rumgai 1654 Blaeu (Pont) East Fife
Rumgay 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
terras de Rumgellie 1686 Retours (Fife) no. 1272
Rumgay 1775 Ainslie/Fife [also Rumgay Mill]
Rumgay 1827 Ainslie/East Fife
Rumgally 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn
G ràth + mac + ? pn or ? G gall + -in
‘Fort of Gallán’s son(s), fort of a man called MacGallán’, or ‘fort of the foreigners’ (Norse?) son(s)’. See Taylor 1995a, 149, 159. For the personal name Gallán, or variants, see Gallán son of Fachtnai (VC Anderson and Anderson 1991, 64, i. 35), a grasping chief from the district where Columba’s companion Colgu son of Cellach came from; we do not know where that is (Sharpe 1995, note 154), though it was presumably in Ireland. The name Galanan Erilich and variants, such as Galanarilith, appears in the Pictish king lists attached to a king who allegedly reigned twelve or fifteen years around the sixth century (Anderson 1980, 247, 262). Galán also appears in the early generations of the genealogy of the Cenél nOengusa (kindred of Angus) of Islay (see Bannerman 1974, 42, 48).
The Scottish surname Rumgay derives from this place-name, and reflects what was clearly a local pronunciation in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth century.
The NGR above is for OS Pathf. Rumgally House. OS Pathf. also shows Rumgally Mains at NO404145, but this appears to be a modern settlement, nothing being shown at that site on OS 6 inch (1855).
According to OS Name Book (59, 10) it was ‘supposed to have been a resting place for several of the Scottish Kings when travelling between St Andrews and Falkland Palace.’ No evidence is offered for this suggestion.
Ainslie/Fife shows Rumgay Mill (Rumgally Mill) on the Eden at about NO401149. This is probably the mill shown simply as mill on Blaeu (Gordon) Fife on the Eden, just north of Rumgally and west of the Ceres Burn, and east of Balass CUP.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 2