Morton Of Blebo
Morton Of Blebo KMB S NO431147 1 363 WEF
(land of) Mirton 1263 x 1264 Barrow 1974 no. 7 [18th c. copy; ‘in the tenement of Blebo’ (in tenemento de Blathbolg); see KMB Introduction]
Myretoune 1452 x 1480 RMS ii no. 1444 [... Blabo, Myretoune, Deresy ...; St Andrews church lands]
Myrtoun 1593 RMS v no. 2273 col. 4 [St Andrews church lands]
terris de Myrtoun 1646 Retours (Fife) no. 695 [in the lands of Morton in the parish of Kemback (Kinbak), ... with common pasture in the commons of Blebo-Morton (Blebo-Myrtoun)]
Blebo-Myrtoun 1646 Retours (Fife) no. 695 [see previous entry]
Morton 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
lands of Myretoune 1657 Retours (Fife) no. 872 [‘in the barony of Kingbak (Kemback), with halfe of the meidowe that lyes towards the eist of Blebo and comone pasture’]
Moortown 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Myretoun of Blebo 1790s OSA, 417
Myretown 1794 Sasines no. 3782 [‘Myretown and Blebohole’]
Morton of Blebo 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn
Sc mire + Sc toun
‘Settlement created out of or beside a mire or bog’. It would appear from the detailed charter issued by John Monypenny to Nicholas of Milton, royal clerk, in 1263 or 1264, that Morton was assessed at a third of a davoch (Barrow 1974 no. 7; see also KMB Introduction). According to Black the prominent local family of Morton of Cambo, earlier Myretoun etc., took its name from these lands (1946, 613). See Cambo KBS for more details of this family.
The name also appears on OS Pathf. as Morton Wood.
The large mound on the ridge south of the road (at NO431144) is identified as a motte by NMRS (NO41SW 43).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 2