Dirdum KMB S NO425164 1 363 25m SWF
Durdum 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn
? Sc dirdum
This may contain Sc dirdum ‘problem, quandary’, or also ‘uproar, tumultous noise, altercation’ (CSD), and if so could be a humorous reference either to the rowdiness of the inhabitants, or to some kind of dispute over ownership or inheritance.
It has been suggested, however, that Dirdum may be much older, being the modern development of Dowrehdin (1165 × 1172 St A. Lib. 179), Dowrehdin (1165 × 1172 St A. Lib. 217), Douachredin (c.1220 Terrier C). If this were the case, then it would appear to be the only land in the Boar’s Raik to lie in the parish of Kemback, unless Rescog of Terrier C is to be identified as Reskes KMB; or unless there has been a change in the parish boundary between KMB and SSL. The topography of Dirdum is also against this identification, since Douachredin is G dabhach + G rèidh + G –in, ‘place of the level davoch’, and Dirdum is on a hillside. However, there is an expanse of level land a short distance to the north, at the foot of the hill, on the south bank of the River Eden. In short, the whole question of the identification of Douachredin must remain unresolved until more evidence emerges.
Douachredin was one of the lands which Malsneachta had held before Bishop Richard granted them to St Andrews Priory (see Bassaguard SSL for more details).
Durdum is also the name of a street at the north edge of Bridgend, the northern ‘suburb’ of Ceres, on OS 6 inch 1st edn. It is described in OS Name Book as having on both sides houses one story [sic] high in good repair, with gardens attached, and occupied by weavers (58, 46). It is now the north-eastern part of Cupar Road, north of the fork between Cupar Road and Moor Road.
/ˈdɪrdʌm/ or /ˈdʌrdʌm/
This place-name appeared in printed volume 2