Blebo KMB S NO421146 2 85m

Bladebolg 1140 St A. Lib. 123
totam decimam de can episcopi de Bladebolgschira 1165 x 1169 RRS ii no. 28 [o.c.; corrected from Bladebobgschira; ‘a whole teind of the bishop’s cain from Bleboshire’]
totam decimam de chan episcopi de Bladebolg syra 1165 x 1169 St A. Lib. 214-5 [same charter as, though not a copy of, RRS ii no. 28]
Bladbolg c.1220 Terrier F [17/18th c. copy; followed by Balepsin]
Blabloc’ c.1240 SAUL LPW 5 [o.c.; the land of Torbrec #, ‘which is between Clatto and Blebo’ (que est inter Clatth’ et Blabloc)]
(John of) Bladboch 1238 x 1240 Barrow 1974 no. 6 [copy; w.]
(John of) Blabolg 1238 x 1250 Balm. Lib. no. 46
in tenemento de Blathbolg 1263 x 1264 Barrow 1974 no. 7 [18th c. copy]
Jacobus Traill de Blabok 1435 St A. Copiale 112 [w.]
Blabo 1452 x 1480 RMS ii no. 1444
Blabow 1471 RMS ii no. 1039
(James Traill of) Blabo 1513 RMS ii no. 3836 [concerning lands of Skelpie (Caskelpy) CLT]
Blabow Miln 1585 St A. Kirk Sess. 546
Blebo 1593 RMS v no. 2273 col. 4 [St Andrews church lands]
domin<us> de Blabow 1614 RMS vii no. 1100 [temple land called Magask held by the lord of Blebo]
boreali molendino de Blebo 1641 RMS ix no. 1027 [‘north mill of Blebo’]
australi molendino de Blebo 1641 RMS ix no. 1027 [‘south mill of Blebo’]
Blebo mill 1642 Gordon MS Fife
the laird of Blebo 1649 Lamont’s Diary 6 [he sold the lands of Blebo to Andrew Beaton, brother of the laird of Balfour (Balfoure)]
Mills of Blebow 1654 Blaeu (Pont) East Fife
Blebow 1654 Blaeu (Pont) East Fife [south of the above]
Haltoun of Blebow 1654 Blaeu (Pont) East Fife [south of the above; this may arise from a misreading of the (lost) Pont MS of *Holetoun or Hole of Blebow, for Blebohole]
Blebo Mil 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Blebo C. 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife [for Castle?]
Blebohole 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
lands and barony of Blebo 1657 Retours (Fife) no. 872 [see discussion for full list of lands]
Blebo-hole 1663 Lamont’s Diary 163
Bleby 1753 Roy sheet 18, 1
Bleby hole 1753 Roy sheet 18, 1
Blebo 1775 Ainslie/Fife [OS Pathf. Blebo House]
Blebo Hole 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Blebohole 1794 Sasines no. 3782
Blebo Farm 1828 SGF [OS Pathf. Blebo Mains]
Blebo House 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn
Blebo Skellies 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn [rocks in the Ceres Burn, see OS Name Book 59, 18]

? Pictish * blawd + Pictish * bolg

‘Meal sack’. For a discussion of this name, see Watson 1926, 411. It is probably of Pictish origin, and contains the same elements as the early British name of Birrens DMF, which appears in Latin sources as Blatobulgio-.[84] This could refer to its early milling connections, though it is as likely to refer to the low, rounded and conspicuous hill at NO419145 (89 m) near Blebo House, on which traces of a hill-fort have been identified (NMRS NO41SW 37),[85] and which could be said to resemble a sack of grain or meal. This feature may be Tilly Hill on Ainslie/Fife (1775), the first element of which derives from G tulach ‘hill, mound’.

    In 1263 or 1264 the heritors of Kinninmonth and Morton of Blebo KMB are both to grind their corn at the mill of Blebo (Blathbolg), ‘suggesting that this mill had anciently been common to the shires of Blebo and Kinninmonth’ (Barrow 1974, 34; see also KMB Introduction).

    In 1657 the lands and barony of Blebo were defined thus: ‘the Maynes of Blebo, the lands of Balruchie, with the North mylne of Blebo callit the Corne Mylne, the lands of Mylnetoune of Blebo, with the south-mylne of Blebo callit Quhyt-myllne.’ These were held by Andrew Beaton in addition to the lands of Morton (Myretoun) in the barony of Kemback (Kingbak) (Retours (Fife) no. 872).

    The name occurs on the OS Pathf. map in the following combinations: Bleachfied of Blebo, Blebocraigs, Blebocraigs Quarry, Blebo Hole, Blebo House, Blebo Mains, Blebo Quarry, Milton of Blebo, Morton of Blebo, Newbigging of Blebo and Streamside of Blebo. It does not occur simply as Blebo. In addition to these, OS 6 inch (1856) shows Blebo Mills, NO416142. The NGR given above is of OS Pathf. Blebo House. Moorhead on Ainslie/Fife probably refers to OS Pathf. Blebo Mains, called Blebo Farm on SGF.

    /ˈblɛbo/. The expected local pronunciation would be /ˈblɛbɪ/; although this pronunciation does not seem to have survived amongst the modern inhabitants of the area, it was clearly the one heard by General Roy’s sappers when compiling his map in the mid-eighteenth century (Bleby).

This place-name appeared in printed volume 2