Balreuchie # KMB S NO4114 3
? Balareth c. 1220 Terrier F [17/18th c. copy]
Balreuchie 1641 RMS ix no. 1027 [‘with the north mill of Blebo called the grain mill’ (cum boreali molendino de Blebo molendino granorum vocato)]
(lands of) Balruchie 1657 Retours (Fife) no. 872 [‘with the north mylne of Blebo callit The Corne Mylne’ (which translates the Latin of RMS ix no. 1027]
Balbruckie 1782 Sasines no. 339 [‘in Blebo, Balbruckie, and Mills of Blebo’; error for *Balruckie]
Balreuchie 1783 Sasines no. 613 [with North Mill of Blebo]
Balreuchie 1794 Sasines no. 3782 [‘Blebo, Balreuchie, with the North Mill of Blebo called the Mill Granary’]
G baile + G fraoch + G - ach or -in
‘Heathery farm’. The ending might be the adjectival or locational –ach or the locational –in ‘place of’. The Terrier’s Balareth appears at the very end of the list of lands belonging to the bishop of St Andrews and his men. Unfortunately, the names preceding it are no longer identifiable, but could be in the Kemback area (see PNF 3, Appendix 2). For Balareth to be later Balreuchie we must suppose an underlying *Balr(e)rech, for baile fhraoich or similar, without a suffix.
If it were possible to locate the North Mill of Blebo mentioned in 1641, we might be able to suggest a closer NGR for Balreuchie, since that charter makes it clear that Balreuchie is associated with that mill.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 2