Pillars Of Hercules
Pillars Of Hercules FAL S NO241082 1 373 75m
Pillars of Hercules 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn
Pillars of Hercules 1876 Searches/Falkland [‘James and Henry Nelson of Nuthill Feus sometimes called the Pillars of Hercules’]
SSE pillars + SSE of + pn Hercules
No doubt the name was inspired by the classical bent of Onesiphorus Tyndall Bruce, laird of Falkland and Nuthill from 1828 to 1855. It was Tyndall Bruce’s same classical bent which created the neo-classical Temple of Decision on the east slope of Green Hill, at the other end of his lands, in the 1850s. The house and gardens of Pillars of Hercules originally lay just outwith the lands of Nuthill, but were acquired by that estate in the 1820s, probably by O. Tyndall Bruce himself.
By 1876 the name seems to have generated another Herculean name in the immediate vicinity. In the same record which contains the reference to ‘Nuthill Feus sometimes called the Pillars of Hercules’ mention is made of one Agnes Burton ‘residing at Herculaneum also known as Nuthill Feus’ (Searches/Falkland).
There are two small pillars, which are probably old gate-posts, standing on the north side of the road to Kilgour near its junction with the main Strathmiglo-Falkland road, and these are pointed to locally as the eponymous pillars. They were originally at the entrance to the field immediately west of the big vegetable garden, one erect, one recumbent, but in the late 1990s were erected in their present position. The Kilgour road itself is relatively late, constructed from scratch sometime between 1775 and 1821.
Pillars of Hercules, which has been an organic farm since the 1980s, is referred to locally as either Pillars or The Pillars.
The row of cottages, now demolished, beside Pillars of Hercules was called The Muirs (locally The Mairs), for more on which see Boontree FAL, above.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 2