Newton Of Falkland
Newton Of Falkland FAL S NO267071 1 373 55m
tendschef of the Newtoun 1438 St A. Cop. no. 92 [see Freuchie FAL, above]
Newtoun de Faukeland 1451 ER v, 469
Neutoune de Faucland 1454 ER v, 684
Newtoune Falkland 1517 Fife Ct. Bk. 64
le Newtoun de Falkland 1525 RMS iii no. 341
Newtoun de Falkland 1531 RMS iii no. 1050
duodecimam partem terrarum de Newtoun de Falkland 1541 RMS iii nos. 2466 [James V feus to Agnes Paul (Paule) widow of John Duncan, and to Alexander Duncan her son, ‘a twelfth part of the lands of Newton of Falkland’]
octavam partem et dimedietatem decimese te partis terrarum de Newtoun de Falkland 1541 RMS iii no. 2468 [James V feus to Alexander Thomson (Thomsoun) ‘8th part and half a 16th part of the lands of Newton of Falkland’]
Newton 1642 Gordon MS Fife
Neutoune of Falkland 1654 Blaeu (Pont) East Fife
Newtoun 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Newtown of Falkland 1753 Roy sheet 18, 1
Newtown 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Newton 1790s OSA, 356 [with a population of 193]
the Brewstead of the town and lands of Newton 1794 Sasines no. 3799 [‘<of Falkland>, Kilgour Head and Loquhanies with the brewery of the said town’]
Newton of Falkland 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn
Sc newtoun + Sc of + en Falkland
This was a division of original estate of Falkland, as was Hilton of Falkland. A series of royal charters from 1541, some of which are noted in the early forms, above, feu fractions of the lands of Newton of Falkland to various tenants, as well as common pasture in the Lomonds, with the sequel or obligation to grind half their corn at the mill of Freuchie, and half at the mill of Falkland, and with the injunction to build a good and large garden well ditched and fenced with oaks, willows, alders or aspens, with planting of ash, plane or elm-trees, in their ratio to the rent (RMS iii no. 2463; see also ibid. nos. 2466, 2468, 2469, 2470, 2472, 2478, 2479, 2480, 2482).
In 1810 mention is made of ‘30 roods at the east end of Newton of Falkland, being part of the ground called Twisthegates’ (Sasines no. 8870). This name also appears as ‘Twixt the Gates (1815 Sasines no. 10796) and Tursthegates (1818 Sasines no. 11965). They represent the relatively rare place-name construction of preposition (+ article) + noun, Sc betwixt the gates ‘between the roads’.
In the 1850s it was recorded that ‘North-West of the village is a piece of ground called The Common, cut full of holes in which the villagers used to steep their lint’ (OS Name Book 15, 24).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 2