Myreside FAL S NO262074 1 373 45m NEF
Mireside 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Myreside 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn
Sc mire + Sc side
‘Place beside the mire or bog’, the mire in question being the expanse of low-lying land to the north-east and east of Myreside. The same mire gives its name to the Moss Burn, which forms the boundary between FAL and KTT about 1 km to the north-east. Between Myreside and the Moss Burn, although the land has been drained and is now farmed, there are no settlements on it, and one of the fields here (NO270078) is called Newtonmyre. From Myreside to the east there are no buildings on this low-lying land, until it begins to rise again on the far side of the Freuchie Burn, where Orkie Farm lies more than 2 km east of Myreside. Note also Myreside # KTT, on the same low-lying ground on the south of the River Eden, some 4 km to the east of Myreside FAL.
OS Name Book (15, 26) states that these few cottages ‘were built upon what was once a common or myre’, but its name and its position both suggest that it was built beside such a feature rather than on it. The draining of the mire is mentioned in the 1790s as having been done in the recent past: ‘Formerly, those who lived on the low grounds are said to have been subject to aguish complaints, which no doubt arose from the vicinity to moss and marsh, and the stagnation of water from the overflowing of the Eden, which sometimes covered a great part of the valley. But of late years the mosses and marshes have much been drained ...’ (OSA, 355). Such was the marshiness of this part of Falkland that ‘when James VI, in 1611, issued a mandate, enjoining the presbytery to hold their meetings at Falkland instead of at Cupar, they refused to comply, on the ground that Falkland could not be approached in winter, nor after heavy rains in summer’ (NSA ix, 937).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 2