Chapelyard FAL S NO258068 1 373 90m
St Mary’s Chapel Yard 1845 NSA ix, 938 [‘the adjoining property to the west (of the manse) is styled St Mary’s Chapel Yard’]
Chapelyard 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn
Sc chapel + Sc yaird
Note that SGF (1828) names only ‘Manse’ here. This is no doubt called after the chapel of St Mary, which stood here in the later middle ages. In 1643 it is described as follows: Balfour of Burghley is retoured ‘in the chapel and place of the Blessed Mary commonly called Our Lady Chapel (of) the *Birkenside adjacent to the Lomonds of Falkland, beside the palace and town of Falkland’ (in sacello et loco Beatae Mariae vulgo Our Lady Chappell lie Birkinsyde nuncupato adjacente ad Lowmounthis de Falkland prope palatium et villam de Falkland) in Retours (Fife) no. 666. Birkinsyde is from Sc birken side ‘hillside with birches’.
OS Pathf. still shows Lady Well as an antiquity nearby. OS 6 inch 1st edn (1856) shows not only Lady Well at NO257067 (marking it as ‘covered’), but also St John’s Well close by at about NO259067. In 1766 the waters of Lady Well were piped to the town of Falkland and they still supplement the town’s water-supply (NMRS NO20NE 13). The waters of St John’s Well were stated to be copious in the mid-nineteenth century (NSA ix, 938), and they were still providing water to the manse in 1968, and may well still do so (NMRS NO20NE 16).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 2