Spittal * CLT S NO360080 2
Spittle 1775 Ainslie/Fife
‘Hospital or inn’. It is shown by Ainslie/Fife not far west of the old road from south-west Fife to St Andrews, and may have been used by pilgrims and other travellers to St Andrews. If Ainslie/Fife (1775) shows it accurately, it seems to be now under the waters of Clatto Reservoir. Ainslie/Fife places it in CLT, south of Skelpie CLT, close to KTT boundary, although Ainslie’s parish boundaries are often quite inaccurate.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 2