Sodom # CER S NO411127 1 60m
Sodom 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Sodom 1853 OS Name Book 59, 38
Sodom 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn
One of a number of biblically inspired names in Fife; according to the OS Name Book in 1853, ‘This name is given to 3 small cottages on the farm of Easter Pitscottie. A toll Bar was formerly here, and opposite the Cottages were some others known as Gomorrah. Why they received such names is unknown, but they have retained them from time immemorial. Sodom is occupied by the farm-servants of East Pitscottie. And the proprietors Miss Preston, and Lady Hay, Valleyfield’ [sic] (Book 59, 38). It is very probable that Sodom got its name from what must have been its very smoky and even fiery industrial environment, given the coal and lime workings in the surrounding area (see, for example, the nearby Coaltown of Callange CER; and for another Sodom named for similar reasons, see Sodom Park # CLT, below).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 2