Kingarroch CER S NO382113 2 90m
Kyngerrock 1410 RMS i no. 927 [see Baltilly CER, above]
(the third part of) Kingarrok 1474 RMS ii no. 1163 [see Baltilly CER, above]
Kingarrow 1490 RMS ii no. 1961 [see Baltilly CER, above]
Kingarrok 1497 RMS ii no. 2360 [see Baltilly CER, above]
Kingarrat 1510 RMS ii no. 3427 [probably a misreading of Kingarrac; William Scott of Balwearie, a third of the barony of Ceres, including Kingarroch]
tertia parte de Kyngarrok 1510 RMS ii no. 3521 [to Andrew Kinninmonth of Craighall, two thirds of the barony of Ceres, with annexes, including a third part of Kingarroch]
Kingarro 1601 Retours (Fife) no. 92 [see Baltilly CER, above]
Kingarrrok 1608 Retours (Fife) no. 197 [see Baltilly CER, above]
Kingarrok 1618 Retours (Fife) no. 278 [see Baltilly CER, above]
Kinggarro 1625 Retours (Fife) no. 354 [Alexander Baxter]
Kengurrick 1654 Blaeu (Pont) East Fife
Kingarrock 1794 Sasines no. 4020
Kingarroch 1816 Sasines no. 10,906
Kingarrock c.1885 Deacon 2001, 21 [in a poem, ‘Kingarrock Well’]
G ceann + ? G garbh + ? G geàrr + – óc
‘End of the rough place’ or ‘end of the short place’ (OIr gerr ‘short’)? There are problems with both suggestions. If the second element derives from G garbh ‘rough’ with a locational suffix, meaning ‘rough place’, it is the exact equivalent of Garvock DFL (PNF 1). While the labio-dental /v/ has survived intact in Garvock, it has already gone by the time Kingarroch first appears in the record (1410), a phenomenon which is difficult to explain. If the second element derives from G geàrr, earlier gerr, then more forms with /e/ might be expected in the early record.
The pub in the village of Craigrothie is called the Kingarroch Inn (1990s), and a nearby well is called Kingarroch Well by local people. Kingarroch is not marked on Ainslie/Fife (1775) or SGF (1828), but Kingarrock Golf Course is shown on an early twentieth-century map hanging in the lobby of the Kingarroch Inn. The golf course is in the field centred at NO379115 (on OS Pathf.), immediately south of the house of Hill of Tarvit, on the north side of Wemysshall Road.
The lands of Kingarroch are probably now represented by the farm of Wemyss Hall Mains (hence the above NGR). This is confirmed by John Deacon in his recent book on Craigrothie, in which he concludes that Kingarroch ‘was the farm buildings now known as Wemyshall [sic] Mains’ (2001, 50). While the two farms are probably co-extensive, it should be noted that the farm-steading of Wemyss Hall Mains was created in the second half of the nineteenth century, since there are no buildings on the site on OS 6 inch 1st edn (1856), and the name first appears on the OS 6 inch County Series, 1st revision (1888 × 1914). It is not known where the main settlement of Kingarroch lay.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 2