Findakech 1204 x 1228 Campbell 1911, 222 [o.c.; transcription error for Findavech? One of the lands which Malcolm earl of Fife grants to Richard of Linton (de Lintune)]
Findows 1654 Blaeu (Pont) East Fife
? M<ill> of Karndasse 1654 Blaeu (Pont) East Fife [error for *Findasse or the like? With the symbol for a mill; immediately north-east of Findas (Findows)]
Fyndess 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Findess 1775 Ainslie/Fife [also Know = OS Pathf. Findas Knowe]
Findas 1806 Sasines no. 7572 [‘lands of Findas and Chance Inn now called Cairnston’]
Findas 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
G fionn + ? G dabhach
‘White davoch’? The earliest form, Findakech, is most likely a transcription error for Findavoch or similar. The recurrent final s(s) may represent Sc plural -is, indicating an early but otherwise unrecorded division of the lands. It was granted by Malcolm earl of Fife to Robert of Linton, along with the three Tarvits CUP, TVX and CER, TVX, and half of Balbirnie MAI (see Barrow 1974, 38 and Campbell 1911, 222).
There are other places in Scotland which share the elements of this name, for example Fendoch, Fowlis Wester in Strathearn PER (Findoch 1542, RMS iii no. 2832); Findauch in Carrick (1542, RMS iii no. 2634); and Findochty BNF, close to the town of Buckie, which seems to contain the loc. suffix -in. Contrast the development of G dabhach in Findatie, Portmoak KNR, by Loch Leven, which has the suffix –in.
The mill of Findas, probably shown in garbled form on Blaeu (Pont) East Fife as M<ill> of Karndasse, will have been on the upper reaches of the Craigrothie Burn in or near Chance Inn.
OS Pathf. 373 also shows Findas Knowe (which appears simply as Know on Ainslie/Fife) and Findas Bank.
/ˈfɪndəs/ or /ˈfɪndas/
This place-name appeared in printed volume 2