Dargus CER S NO403114 1 85m
part of the shade called Dargus 1783 Sasines no. 453
eastmost half of Dergus 1790 Sasines no. 2480
Dargus Green 1803 Sasines no. 6552 [‘feu at Dargus Green called Four Acres’]
Dergus Park 1814 Sasines no. 10,204
West Dergus 1818 Sasines no. 11,854 [‘shade called West Dergus with houses, Lintmiln (linen mill)’]
Dargus 1818 Sasines no. 12,359 [‘part of the lands and barony of Craighall lying in that shade called Dargus’]
Dargus 1943 x 1995 OS 1:2500 National Survey
? Sc darg
The basic meaning of darg is a day’s work, and by extension ‘an extent (of meadow) which can be mowed in a day’ (DOST). It was probably originally Sc pl. dargis, the pl. ending of which has been re-interpreted as a Latin ending, perhaps influenced by the disyllabic and Latin-looking Ceres.
It was formerly a small-holding on the outskirts of the village, and a house called East Dargus now stands at the above NGR, on the road from Ceres to Baldinnie, as shown on OS Mastermap (2007).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 2