Craighall CER S NO407106 1 363 120m SOF
Craguen 1365 RMS i no. 205 [to Richard Wingate (Ovyot) all land of Balquhy (Balqwy) CER and of Craguen]
Cragueny 1406 x 1420 RMS i app. 2 no. 1964 A [16th c. index; to William Scott; see Balquhy CER]
(a third of the lands of) Craghal 1438 x 1440 RMS ii no. 239 [to John of Kinninmonth; see Ceres, above]
(two thirds of) Craghall 1474 RMS ii no. 1163 [to John Kinninmonth of Craighall (Craghall); see Ceres, above]
Craghall 1510 RMS ii no. 3427 [to William Scott of Balwearie, (? a third of) Craighall with the principal messuage of Craighall; see Ceres, above]
(free barony of) Craghall 1510 RMS ii no. 3521 [erected in favour of Andrew Kinninmonth of Craghall; see below for more details]
the thornydik of Craghalle 1540 Knights of St John, 25 [‘ane tempill that lys at the thornydik of Craghalle’]
(barony of) Craighall c.1560 s Purves 154 [?12]
terras templarias de Craighall 1614 RMS vii no. 1100 [held by David Kinninmonth (Kyninmonth) of that ilk]
Craighall 1616 Retours (Fife) no. 261
terras templarias de Craighall 1619 RMS viii no. 2077 [the temple lands of Craighall lying at the thorny dyke of Craighall (jac<entes> apud lie thornedyk de Craighall)]
Craighall 1635 RMS ix no. 315 [lands associated with Craighall include ‘a piece of land called temple lands *The Thornydykes’ (cum petia terre vocat. terris templariis lie Thorniedykis); similarly 1643 RMS ix no. 1356]
Kraighall 1654 Blaeu (Pont) East Fife [shown twice, both near Ceres]
Craighall 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
terras templarias vel thorniedykes de Craighall 1662 Retours (Fife) no. 914 [to the Hopes of Craighall the lands and barony of Craighall including that part of them called the temple lands or *Thornydykes of Craighall etc.]
Craighouses 1753 Roy sheet 18, 1 [written across join in map]
Craighall 1775 Ainslie/Fife [‘Earl of Hopeton’]
Craighall 1790s OSA, 147 [formerly the seat of Sir Thomas Hope]
Craighall 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn [also shows Craighall Castle as an antiquity, and Craighall Mains]
Newbigging of Craighall 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn
Craighall Den 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn
Craighall Burn 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn
G creag + ?
The present lands of Craighall and Craighall Mains almost certainly contain those lands formerly known as Balquhy #, q.v. Although this looks like a Scots name containing Sc craig + Sc hall, the two earliest forms show that the situation is more complicated, and the elements are in fact of Gaelic, or at least of Celtic, origin. If Gaelic, then the first element is G creag ‘crag, rock’, while the second element may be G uan ‘lamb’.
In November 1510 the free barony of Craighall was erected in favour of Andrew Kinninmonth of Craighall, which included the lands of two thirds of the barony of Ceres, with attachments, viz the lands of two thirds of Craighall and Callange, with a third of Baltilly, a third of Kingarroch, and a third of Pitscottie, along with the superiority of two thirds of the lands of Pitscottie, of all the lands of Urquhart DFL, and of a third of Pitfirrane DFL, in the said barony of Ceres (RMS ii no. 3521). This charter, which was rehearsing a charter of 1474 to an earlier Kinninmonth (RMS ii no. 1163), was probably prompted by the issuing in February 1510 of an extensive grant to Sir William Scott of Balwearie which consisted of much land in CER, including Craighall (RMS ii no. 3427).
The change from Craguen etc. to Craighall no doubt came about through the fact that the hall or chief residence of the lands of Craguen was situated there. It seems to have occurred in the fifteenth century.
It is clear from the 1540, 1619, 1635 and 1662 references to Craighall that part of its lands had been given to the Knights Templars. This part is always associated with ‘thorny dykes’, that is ‘walls made of or augmented by thorns, probably hawthorns’, which we can observe moving from a descriptive term to a place-name in this period.
OS Pathf. Craighall Mains lies at NO408110 about 300 m north of the site of the now ruined Craighall. Craighall Mains, which first appears as such on OS 6 inch 1st edn (1856), is called simply Mains on SGF (1828). It is not named on Ainslie/Fife (1775), nor on Ainslie/East Fife (1827), and so seems to be a creation of the second quarter of the nineteenth century.
OS Pathf. also shows Newbigging of Craighall (which see below), Craighall Burn, Craighall Den and the above-mentioned Craighall Mains.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 2