Ceres

Ceres CER PS NO399117 1 362 70m

ad Sires 1140 x 1152 W1 ?5 [early 14th c. copy; see Appendix 1]
ad Sireis canum 1140 x 1152 W2 ?5 [early 14th c. copy; ‘Ceres of the dogs’ or ‘of the cains’?; see Appendix 1]
de Sireis 1140 x 1152 W1 ?5 [early 14th c. copy; see Appendix 1]
de Sires 1144 x 1152 W2 ?5 [early 14th c. copy; see Appendix 1]
Adam de Sirais 1160 x 1172 N. Berwick Cart. no. 3 [‘c.1170’ Barrow 1980, 194; w. of charter of earl Duncan]
Adam milite de Syreis 1165 x 1171 St A. Lib. 247 [‘Adam the knight of Ceres’]
Adam de Syreis 1178 x 1188 RRS ii no. 211 [o.c.]
Adam de Sireis 1189 x 1193 RRS ii no. 292 [o.c.]
Adam de Syreis 1189 x 1194 RRS ii no. 355
Adam de Syreis 1189 x 1195 RRS ii no. 334
Dunecan<us> de Sereis 1189 x 1195 RRS ii no. 334
Duncecan<us> de Syreis 1195 x 1196 RRS ii no. 385 [16th c copy]
Syreii c, 1220 Terrier E [17/18th c. copy; for Syreis or similar; lands held by the Culdees]
ecclesia de Syreis 1260 St A. Lib. 384 [1 glass lamp in the church of Ceres]
ecclesia de Syrais 1275 Bagimond’s Roll, p. 39
baronia de Seras 1438 x 1440 RMS ii no. 239 [John of Cairncross (Carnecors) of Balmashennar (Balmaschenare), Forfar ANG granted to James of Kinninmonth (Kyninmont), knight, lord of that ilk, and to his heirs etc ‘his (Cairncross’s) third of the lands of the vills of Ceres, of Craighall CER, of Callange CER and of Wester Pitscottie CER’ (tertias partes suas terrarum villarum de Seras, de Craghal, de Calange, et de Westir Petscotti), in the barony of Ceres (Seres) in exchange for Kinninmonth’s lands of Balgrummo (Balgarmow) SCO]
terras duarum partium baronie de Seres 1474 RMS ii no. 1163 [the king confirmed to John Kinninmonth (Kinninmonde) of Craighall (Craghall) CER the lands of two thirds of the barony of Ceres, with parts otherwise annexed to the said two thirds of the barony viz two thirds of Craighall and of Callange, a third of Baltilly CER, of Kingarroch CER and of Pitscottie CER in the said barony, sheriffdom of Fife, along with the superiorities of the following tenandries viz of two thirds of the lands of Pitscottie, and of all the lands of Pitscottie, and of a third of the lands of Pitfirrane DFL, in the said barony and sheriffdom][30]
tertiam partem baronie de Seres 1510 RMS ii no. 3427 [amongst a long list of lands in north and east Fife (re-)granted to William Scott of Balwearie (Balwery) KDT, knight, and his heirs, and erected into the free barony of Strathmiglo (Strathmiglo): a third part of the barony of Ceres viz the vill of Ceres (villam de S<eres>), Craighall (Craghall) CER with the principal messuage of C<raghall>, Balquhy (Balquhy) CER, Baltilly (Baltuly) CER, Kingarroch (Kingarrat), and a third of the mill of Ceres (tertiam partem molendini de S<eres>)]
Cyres K<irk> 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Cyres mill 1654 Blaeu (Pont) East Fife
terras de Seres 1662 Retours (Fife) no. 914 [Thomas Hope of Craighall]
aqu<a> de Seres 1662 Retours (Fife) no. 914 [fishing rights ‘in aquis de Seres et Edine’]
Ciris 1663 Lamont’s Diary 164 [‘one Mikkey, bethel (beadle) in the parish of Ciris... fell in adultery there’]
Cyrus 1684 Adair/East Fife
Seerus 1753 Roy sheet 18, 1
Seerus mill 1753 Roy sheet 18, 1
Ciris 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Ciris Mill 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Siras 1790s OSA, 137
Cyres 1790s OSA, 137
Cyrus 1790s OSA, 137
Cires 1790s OSA, 137
Ceres 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn
Ceres Mills 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn
Ceres Moor 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn
Newbigging of Ceres 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn

G siar + -es

‘Place to the west; westward-lying place’. G siar ‘west’, DIL síar ‘back(wards), west(wards)’. The locational ending -es is common in east Fife, found in such names as Leuchars, Rires KCQ and Wemyss. It was probably named in relation to St Andrews.

    The NGR is of the parish kirk, which was built in 1806, on the site of an earlier building. An enamelled bronze crucifix (mid-twelfth century) was found in the kirkyard and presented to the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland in 1883, added evidence, if evidence were needed, that the twelfth-century parish church stood at the same site.

    /ˈsirəs/ or, more recently, /ˈsiriz/

This place-name appeared in printed volume 2