Carskerdo CER S NO393080 1 373 185m NEF
(land of) Gaskerduf 1310 x 1327 SAUL MS 37490, no. 1 [see CER Introduction]
(land of) Gaskerduff c.1365 x 1398 SAUL MS 37490, no. 2
(lands of) Gaskerduff 1419 x 1450 SAUL MS 37490, no. 5
(lands of) Glaskerdow 1454 SAUL MS 37490, no. 6 [charter of confirmation of James II not in RMS]
Kaskeirdoch 1515 Fife Ct. Bk. 15 [Walter Hird of Pyeston (Pyotstoune) MAI was hanged for stealing 10 sheep from John Anderson (Andersone), William Eldar and John Simson (Symsone) dwelling in Carskerdo]
Caskeirdo 1540 RMS iii no. 2149 [extent given]
Carskendow c.1560 s Purves 154 [?4; probably for Carskerdow]
(lands of) Carskeirdo 1616 Retours (Fife) no. 256 [David Barclay, in the barony of Collairnie (Cullernie) DBG]
Carskeirdo 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife [shown too far to the south; in a similar position on Gordon MS Fife]
(lands of) Carskido 1656 Retours (Fife) no. 860 [Robert Barclay, in the barony of Collairnie (Cullerny) DBG]
Carscourd< > 1684 Adair/East Fife [the final letter is illegible]
lands of Carskierdo 1694 Retours (Fife) no. 1356 [John Melville (Melvill) of Carskierdo, the lands of Carskierdo, in the barony of Collairnie (Cullairney) DBG and the parish of Ceres (Cires)]
Cascurdy 1753 Roy sheet 18, 1 [also Cascurdy Place to the south]
Carskirdo 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Carskirdo 1828 SGF
Carskardo 1845 NSA 531 [‘the late Miss Hulkerston of Carskardo’]
Carskurdo 1850s OS Name Book 17, 32 [also lists spellings Carskirdo and Carskerdo]
Carskerdo 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
G gasg + G* cair + G dubh
‘Black fort ridge’. I am assuming that the second element is the G loan-word from Pictish *cair ‘fort’, rather than the Pictish word itself, since the other elements appear to be Gaelic. NMRS shows no evidence of any fort on or near the ridge, but the high points of the ridge most likely to have been fortified have been built on and planted in modern times, which might disguise the remains of any early fortification. Though Roy (1753) shows Castlehill a short distance to the north-east of Carskerdo (Cascurdy), apparently atop the steep slope of OS Pathf. Teasses Den, or further up that hill at OS Pathf. Windygates, this is unlikely to represent the eponymous *cair of Carskerdo.
The farm-steading sits on the same ridge as Cassindilly CER, which shares the generic, gasg ‘ridge’ (literally ‘tail’), so common in this part of east Fife (see for example Cassindonald CMN, Magask CER, Kingask SSL and CUP, Fingask DAE). The intrusive r, which does not appear until the seventeenth century, is probably the result of anticipation of r in the second syllable, or perhaps of the assimilation of the first element to Sc carse.
For part of its marches in the early fourteenth century, see CER Introduction.
The fields of Carskerdo are listed in 1813: they are ‘Norriesknow, Norrieswell, N. Rawflatts ... Chanting Park, the inclosures called Burntf<o>lds, and three inclosures adjoining thereto now called the farm of Burntside ...’ (Sasines no. 9661). A very similar list is to be found in Sasines no. 9662 (1813), except for ‘Chanting or Chantry Park’ and ‘inclosures called Burntfolds’.
In 1819 the following fields are mentioned: ‘part of the town and lands of Carskerdo viz the Mansion House of Carskerdo now commonly called by the name of Greenside ... fields and inclosures called Egypt, Staghill, Bughtlies, N. Hilty, S. Hilty, Little Hilty ... Guillyden ... Dubbyridges’ (Sasines no. 12,701). Of these, Hilty is the name of a settlement near Carskerdo in the later nineteenth century (see Hilty # CER for more details); and Guillyden probably contains an adjective from Sc guil, older guld(e), guild(e) (DOST) ‘corn marigold’, a pernicous weed (see Kilgourieknowe FAL, below).
/kəsˈkɛrdo/ and locally /kəsˈkɛrdɪ/
This place-name appeared in printed volume 2