Balemacdunechin 1140 St A. Lib. 122
Balemacdunegin 1141 x 1150 David I Chrs. no. 126 [confirmed to St Andrews Priory]
Balmacdunechin 1156 St A. Lib. 51
Balemacduuegin 1165 x 1169 RRS ii no. 28 [thus MS A, but see MS B below; confirmed to St Andrews Priory]
Balmacdunegin 1165 x 1169 St A. Lib. 214 [MS B of the above confirmation to St Andrews Priory]
Ballemocdundguid c.1220 Terrier C [17/18th c. copy]
Ballemocdunegin c.1220 Terrier D [17/18th c. copy]
Balemacduneg 1228 St A. Lib. 233
Baldunny 1448 NLS MS Adv. 15.1.18 no. 102 [instrument of submission to arbitration by prior of St Andrews and John Kinninmonth of that ilk anent the boundaries of Greigston CMN, Baldinnie and Arnydie CER]
Balduny 1449 SAUL SL110.C1 [see Greigston CMN]
Baldunny SAUL SL 110 .C1 [see Greigston CMN]
Baldunny 1452 x 1480 RMS ii no. 1444 [one of the lands belonging to the Church of St Andrews]
Baldony 1482 NLS MS Adv. 15.1.18 no. 99
Baldinny 1517 Fife Ct. Bk. 400 [17th c. copy]
Baldony 1519 Fife Ct. Bk. 151
Westir Baldonye 1521 Fife Ct. Bk. 215 [slaughter of George Bell there]
terris de Baldynie 1616 Retours (Fife) no. 261
Baldunye 1619 RMS vii no. 2077 [‘with mill’ (cum molendino)]
Baldinny 1621 APS iv p. 682
Ballchuny mylne 1621 APS iv p. 682 [transcription error for Ballduny mylne or Balldinny mylne]
Baldinni 1635 RMS ix no. 315 [‘with mill’ (cum molendino)]
Balduny & Balduny-mylne 1635 RMS ix no. 315
Badinny 1654 Blaeu (Pont) East Fife
Baldinny 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Baldinny Mill 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Baldinny Cottown 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Baldinnie 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn
Lower Baldinnie 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn [= OS Pathf. Lower Baldinnie; it does not show OS Pathf. Nether Baldinnie]
Upper Baldinnie 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn [= OS Pathf. Over Baldinnie]
G baile + mac + pn Donnacán
‘Farm of the sons of Duncan’. Donnacán is a diminutive of the G personal name Donnchadh (OIr Donnchad or Dunchad), found also in Kilconquhar and Kilduncan KBS (PNF 3); and Pitconochie DFL (PNF 1). In Baldinnie and Kilduncan, however, we are dealing with the hypocoristic form Donnacán (see Jackson 1972, 77).
Though Baldinnie is probably not the same as Ballechodyn of RRS ii no. 411 (for which see Ballachton # CER below), which was feued to Odo, the bishop’s steward, in the second half of the twelfth century, and confirmed to his son Adam 1196 × 1204 (RRS ii no. 411), Baldinnie was certainly held by Adam son of Odo (Terrier D). However, he probably held it as part of ‘the whole land of Kinninmonth’ (tota terra de Kynninmond), which was granted to both Odo and Adam by St Andrews Priory for an annual rent of two merks (loc. cit.), along with the other places specifically named viz. the three Malgasks CER, SSL, Inchcalc #, Ladeddie SSL, CER, Incherech # and Ballechodyn.
Baldinnie is listed in parts C and D of the Terrier, but as both involve priory lands, this should be seen as a repetition rather than as indicating that Baldinnie was divided into two parts. The same applies to Ladeddie CER, SSL, q.v.
OS Pathf. shows Baldinnie, Baldinnie Farm, Percy Baldinnie, Over Baldinnie, Baldinnie Loan, Nether Baldinnie and Lower Baldinnie. Baldinnie Burn flows through the estate. Where was the centre of the estate? SGF shows Baldinnie at the site of OS Pathf. Lower Baldinnie, and S. Baldinnie at the site of modern Over Baldinnie. Ainslie/Fife (1775) also apparently shows Baldinny at OS Pathf. Lower Baldinnie, and gives the name Baldinny Cottown to what seems to be modern Over Baldinnie. Following these two maps, Lower Baldinnie is here offered as the centre of the estate, at the NGR given above.
Baldinnie was in SSL until 1621, when it was transferred to CER, as part of the barony of Kinninmonth (APS iv p. 682).
/balˈdɪnɪ/ or /bəlˈdɪnɪ/
This place-name appeared in printed volume 2