terris de Tretoun cum marrasia 1511 RMS ii no. 3642 [‘the lands of Treaton KWY with its mire’]
terris maresii de Tretone 1603 Retours (Fife) no. 129 [Robert Lundy of Balgonie ‘in the lands of the mire of Treaton lying contiguous with the mire of Dalginch KWY and Milton of Balgonie MAI’ (jacentis contigue cum maresio de Dalginsche et Myltone de Balgony)]
lie Myre 1605 RMS vi no. 185 [‘the lands of Treaton with the Mire’ (terras de Tritoun cum lie Myre)]
terris maresii de Treatton 1627 Retours (Fife) no. 384
cum maresiis vocatis Bruntoun Moss 1665 Retours (Fife) no. 978 [James Law of Brunton various lands ‘with the mires called Brunton Moss’]
terras de Trittonmyre 1675 Retours (Fife) no. 1142 [‘lands of Treaton Mire’, part of the lands and barony of Balgonie MAI q.v.]
Mires 1765 x 1854 Markinch Plan/1765 [1854 redrawing of 1765 plan; Mires is shown at about NO299018, a small field south-east of Markinch Glebe, indicated as part of Backside of Balgonie]
3 Myres 1799 Sasines no. 5328 [in the lordship and barony of Balgonie MAI, the 3 portions called ‘3 Lochs, 3 Myres or 3 Butts, with part of Brunton Land called Brunies Haugh,  and acres of Brunton Land’]
three Myres 1802 Sasines no. 6206 [three portions of Brunton MAI ‘called the three Lochs, three Myres or three Butts, viz. Eastmost, Middle and Westmost Butts’; see Brunton MAI for more details]
The Mires 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn
‘The mires or marshlands’, this name refers to the wet ground around the Markinch Burn or Back Burn. The OS 6 inch 1st edn map (1856) shows the name extending over a wider area than it does on OS Pathf., including some land on the south side of the burn (and therefore in MAI). The Mires would have formed a valuable resource, providing for example peat for fuel, divots for building and agriculture, and reeds for thatching. As with other areas of mire, such as the bog of Drumcarro CMN (for details of which see Northbank # CMN), The Mires would have been carefully divided up amongst the nearby estates, and the record does indeed show that Dalginch KWY, Treaton KWY, Brunton MAI and Balgonie MAI all had rights there, with each estate giving its name to its own piece of mire. There were even named subdivisions of these individual pieces of mire. For example a grant made in 1685 under the Great Seal to David Melville and his heirs of the toun and lands of Markinch, and various other lands, included ‘all and haill the lands of Treaton, and their mosses and muirs, and all and haill the portionar lands of *Brunton-land marsh-lands called the Mires or the Three Butts, viz, the Eastmost Butt, Middle Butt and Westmost Butt’ (Totas et integras terras de Treattoune et mossas et moras earundem, totas et integras terras portion<es> de Bruntounland nuncupat<as> terras paludes lie myres seu lie three buts, viz. lie eastmostbutt, middlebutt et westmost butt) (NAS GD26/3/950). For later references to these divisions, also known as the Three Lochs, see Sasines no. 5328 and no. 6206 cited above.
The NGR given is for the area shown on OS Pathf. as The Mires.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 2