Markinshburne 1685 NAS GD26/3/950
Markinch Burn 1888 x 1914 OS 6 inch 1st revision
en Markinch + Sc burn
Further upstream (NO31 01) OS Pathf. shows it as Back Burn q.v. However, the 1685 form is found in a document concerning lands around Markinch itself, indicating that the name was once applied to most if not all of its course. In the mid-nineteenth century this same stretch of the burn, between Markinch Hill (the hill with the so-called Terraces on its north side) and Dalginch Law (the hill on which Dalginch is situated), is referred to as Balbirnie Burn (NSA ix, 663). See Dalginch KWY for more details. The burn falls into the Kennoway Burn at the NGR given above.
In its uppermost reaches it is called on OS Pathf. Coul Burn. This rises in the Lomonds, and flows out of OS Pathf. Coul Reservoir.
Neither Markinch Burn nor Back Burn is named on OS 6 inch 1st edn.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 2