Lomondys 1315 x 1315 x 1353 Skene of Pitlour Muniments (Cupar) [o.c.; inspeximus of 1359 x 1372 of a charter of 1315 x c.1353; ‘Lomonds and the muir of Lomonds’ (Lomondys et mora de Lomondys); for full text see PNF 4, 654-7]
mora de Lomondys 1315 x 1315 x 1353 Skene of Pitlour Muniments (Cupar) [see preceding and PNF 4, 654-7]]
le Lowmond 1459 RMS ii no. 712 [‘on the east side of the street of the burgh of Falkland which leads to the Lomond’ (ex parte orientali vici burgi de Faucland qui ducit ad le Lowmond)]
le Lummontis 1529 RMS iii no. 760 [common grazing for the lands of Cash (Casche) SLO and Falkland (Falkland) in the Lomonds and the muir on the north side of these hills]
montibus vocatis Lomondis 1540 RMS iii no. 2184 [to Ramsays the lands of Corston (Corstoun) SLO, with the manor, garden etc. and common grazing ‘in the moors, marshes and hills called Lomonds’ (in moris, marresiis et montibus vocatis Lomondis)]
lie Lowmontis 1541 RMS iii no. 2454 [common grazing in the Lomonds]
lie Lowmondis 1541 RMS iii no. 2463 [common grazing in the Lomonds]
lie Lowmond 1541 RMS iii no. 2467 [common grazing in the Lomond. This form is also used in RMS iii nos. 2467–70 and nos. 2475, 2476, 2478–9]
lie Loumondis 1541 RMS iii no. 2480
cum libera pastura super Lowmond 1603 Retours (Fife) no. 134 [Margaret Thomson, wife of Thomas Birrell, portioner of Freuchie (Freuchie) FAL, ‘with free grazing on Lomond’]
cum communi pastura in Lowmondis 1606 Retours (Fife) no. 168 [William Cowper, portioner of Freuchie (Freuquhie) FAL; ‘with common grazing in Lomonds’]
cum communi pastura super Lowmoundis de Falkland 1626 Retours (Fife) no. 400 [David Beaton (Beatton) of Creich, in the lands of Urquhart ‘with common grazing on Lomonds of Falkland’]
Lowmounthis 1643 Retours (Fife) no. 666 [Robert Balfour of Burgheley; heir of his maternal grandfather, John Averie, bailiff of Falkland, ‘in the chapel and place of the Blessed Mary commonly called Our Lady Chapel (of) the *Birkenside (for which see Chapelyard FAL, below) adjacent to the Lomonds of Falkland, beside the palace and town of Falkland’ (in sacello et loco Beatae Mariae vulgo Our Lady Chappell lie Birkinsyde nuncupato adjacente ad Lowmounthis de Falkland prope palatium et villam de Falkland)]
(common grazing in) Lowmounds de Faulkland 1665 Retours i (Fife) no. 974 [lands and barony of Strathmiglo with common grazing in Lomonds of Falkland]
E Lawmond 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Mid Lawmond 1775 Ainslie/Fife [for West Lomond]
W Lawmond 1775 Ainlsie/Fife [for Bishop Hill, Portmoak KNR]
East Lomond 1828 SGF
West Lomond 1828 SGF [for West Lomond; also has Bishop Hill]
West Lomond 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn
East Lomond 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn
Lomond Hills 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn
? Pictish * lumon or ? G lom + G monadh
‘Beacon (hill)’ or ‘bare hill’? W. J. Watson proposes that Lomond derives from a Pictish word cognate with Welsh llumon, ‘a beacon’, found for example in the Welsh hill-name Pumlumon (English Plynlimon) (1926, 212; for a more detailed discussion of Pumlumon, which also refers to the Lomonds, and which endorses Watson’s analysis, see Wmffre 2004 Vol. 3, 1094–6). The two peaks of West Lomond and East Lomond (522m and 424m) tower over large areas of lowland and can be seen from many miles around, and well beyond the bounds of Fife. They are thus ideally suited for use as beacon sites, where fires would be lit to convey warnings or other messages over considerable distances. If this is correct, then the second syllable must have been re-interpreted as containing G monadh ‘hill, upland grazing’, which accounts for the syllable-final dental found in all recorded forms.
Alternatively the name may originally contain that element, deriving from G lom m(h)onadh ‘bare hill’, perhaps adapted from an earlier Pictish name containing cognate elements (bearing in mind that monadh is a loan-word into Gaelic from Pictish or British).
In any case, the name does not have the same root as Leven (q.v. above), but almost certainly has the same origin as Lomond in the west (Ben Lomond and Loch Lomond, the loch taking its name from the hill).
The NGR given is for the summit of West Lomond, the highest hill of the range, and indeed of Fife.
They are known locally as The Lomonds, the Sc plural ending (-is/-ys) appearing already in the earliest recorded forms. (The) East Lomond FAL is also known as Falkland Hill (see under East Lomond FAL, below).
These hills are amongst the most conspicuous in south-east Scotland, being visible from the Grampians in the north to the Lammermuirs in the south-east. In the wider Scots- and Scottish Standard English-speaking area they are often referred to as the Paps of Fife (Sc pap ‘breast’), with reference to the two prominent and similarly shaped tops of the East and West Lomond. In a similar register in Gaelic tradition they were known as Cuspairean Wallace ‘Wallace’s Goalposts’. One explanation of this name is given as follows: ‘2 conical peaks of the Lomonds called by the elderly men of Breadalbane Cuspairean Wallace because the great patriot had thrown the putting-stone from the top of the one hill to the top of the other’ (Macdiarmid 1907, 140).
/ðəˈloməndz/ or /ðəˈlomənz/
This place-name appeared in printed volume 2