Chapelhill TUL S NS929882 1 5m
Chapel Hill 1866 OS 6 inch 1st edn.
Sc or SSE chapel + Sc or SSE hill
‘Hill with a chapel’. An archaeological investigation carried out by the local history group with help from Strathclyde University was completed early 1992. This confirmed the evidence of the place-name (and OS Pathf. which marks ‘Chapel (site of)’ here) and local tradition that this was the site of a medieval chapel: low, poorly preserved stone foundations of a single-cell structure were exposed. NMRS records that the building measured approximately 10 m by 7 m, and that an altar base was exposed at the east end (NMRS NS98NW 6). There is a Chapelhill Street in nearby Hawkhill TUL.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1