Burnbray 1530 NAS GD15/ 952/ 9, item 68 [18th c. copy; ‘the lands of Burnbray and Dawbyrn218 in the barony of Tulliallane and 12 sowms of grass within the Wardis about the place and castall of Tulliallane’; Blackadder(Blacader) family]
Burnbrae 1866 OS 6 inch 1st edn CXL [= Burnbrae farm steading]
Burnbrae 1866 OS 6 inch 1st edn CXLII [= Burnbrae House]
Sc burn + Sc brae
‘Brae or slope, usually on a road, associated with a burn’. The above NGR is of Burnbrae farm steading (OS 6 inch 1st edn), which was more central to the lands of Burnbrae than was Burnbrae House,219 which dates from the eighteenth century (NS936875; NMRS NS98NW 76). There is also Burnbrae Nursery (OS 1:10,000 map on-line), and Burnbrae Park, a street c.100 m to the south.
Although in the barony of Tulliallan in 1530 (see early forms), it seems to have lain in CUS, since it was surrounded by lands in that parish which were not transferred to TUL till the seventeenth century.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1