Dundonald ADN S NT217947 1 385 90m
(half the lands of) Dundonalde 1458 RMS ii no. 638 [to David Boswell of Balmuto]
Dundownald 1519 Fife Ct. Bk. 148 [et hospitale (‘and the hospital’)]
Dundonald 1526 RMS iii no. 403 [for details see Balgreggie ADN]
the coalheuch of Drumdonald 1545 Fraser, Wemyss ii no. 108 [described as being ‘within the merchis of Powguld’ (Powguild ADN)]
Dundaldnat 1654 Blaeu (Pont) West Fife
Dundonnat 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Dened 1753 Roy sheet 17, 5
Nether Dundonat 1775 Ainslie/Fife [= OS Pathf. North Dundonald Farm]
Upper Dundonat 1775 Ainslie/Fife [= OS Pathf. South Dundonald]
G dùn + pn Dòmhnall
‘Dòmhnall (Donald)’s (hill-)fort’. According to McNeil Houston the local pronunciation was ‘Dundownat’ (1924, 61). This is reflected in the spelling in 1654 on Blaeu (Gordon) Fife, as well as on Ainslie/Fife (1775). Cassindonald CMN, also containing the pn Donald, shows similar early modern development.
For the associated hospital, see Spittal ADN below, whose lands abut those of Dundonald on the west.
Now the name of a part of Cardenden (village), which supplies the above NGR, the core of the lands of Dundonald immediately to the south, comprising OS Pathf. North Dundonald Farm and South Dundonald.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1