Gilanderson

Gilanderson TOB S NT033863 2 50m

Glanderstoun 1603 RMS vi no. 1485 [the lands of Glanderstoun and Drumfyne in the parish of Torry (Torry)]
Gillanderstoun 1621 RMS viii no. 256
Gillanderstoun vel Glanderstoun 1630 RMS ix no. 460 [Gillanderstoun or Glanderstoun]
Glanderston 1642 Gordon MS Fife
Glanderstoun 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Killandirstoun 1664 RMS xi no. 747
Gillanderstoune 1698 Retours (Fife) no. 1399
Gilanderston 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Gillanderston 1788 Sasines no. 1986
Gillanderstone 1799 Sasines no. 5484 [Sir William Erskine of Torry, ‘... Bilbo, Rosehill, Easter Pitsonlie (Easter Pitsoulie TOB), Skeldhowhills, Rimalton and Gillanderstone and Drumfin’ in the regality of St. Andrews]
Gillanderston 1821 Ainslie/S. Scotland
Gillandersons Forebank ( ? early) 19th. c. RHP2960 [where OS Pathf. Half Moon Plantation now is NT034863]
Gillanderson Check T. P. 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn. [name of a toll house on the main road west of Cairneyhill]
Gillanderson Bank 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn [area of land on north side of road]
Gilanderson Bridge 2010 Courier 01 04 2010 [railway bridge]

pn Gillanders + Sc toun

The eponymous Gillanders is almost certainly Gillanders of Torry (Torrin), who takes part in a perambulation of the lands of Dunduff DFL in 1231 (Dunf. Reg. no. 196). Glanderston was presumably a subdivision of the lands of Torry made in the early thirteenth century. Glanderston, Kennethmont parish ABD (probably formerly in the medieval parish of Rathmuriel) is also derived from the personal name Gillanders. In this case, also, the eponymous Gillanders is identifiable: he was Gillanders Buch or Buth (?from buidhe ‘yellow’). The land which had been Gillanders Buch’s or Buth’s in the Garioch ABD (‘terram que fuit Gillandres Buch in Garuiach’) was given to Hugh le Bret by Earl David of Huntingdon c.1210 (Lind. Cart. no. 129; see also Stringer 1985 no. 14, where it is dated c.1208 × 1214). So the Aberdeenshire Gillanders is a few decades earlier than Gillanders of Torry.

The NGR of the settlement is deduced from Ainslie/Fife (1775).

/gɪlˈandərsən/

This place-name appeared in printed volume 1