Crombie

Crombie TOB CRX PS NT028855 1 394 25m SWF

capellam de Abercrumbin 1157 x 1160 RRS i no. 157 [= Dunf. Reg. no. 40; the church of Kelly CBE (Kellin) and the chapel of Abercrumbin]
capellam de Abercrumb’ 1163 Dunf. Reg. no. 237 [church of Kellin, the chapel of Abercrumb’]
capellam de Abercrumbi 1165 x 1168 RRS ii no. 30 [= Dunf. Reg. no. 50 p. 30; the church of Kellin and the chapel of Abercrumbi]
ecclesiam de Abercrumbi 1165 x 1168 Dunf. Reg. no. 596 (Appendix I) [o.c.; original of Dunf. Reg. no. 94, which has Abircrumbi; Bishop Richard of St Andrews’ confirmation of 13 churches belonging to Dunfermline Abbey in his diocese, including the church of Kellie CBE (Kellin), and the church of Abercrumbi]
capellam de Ab<er>crumb’ 1184 Dunf. Reg. no. 239 [general confirmation of Pope Lucius III of all possessions and rights of Dunfermline Abbey, including the church of Kellie CBE (Kellin) and the chapel of Ab<er>crumb’]
ecclesiam de Ab<er>crumb’ 1203 Dunf. Reg. no. 110 [Bishop William of St Andrews’ confirmation of 15 churches belonging to Dunfermline Abbey in his diocese, including the church of Kellie CBE (Kellin) and the church of Ab<er>crumb’]
ecclesiam de Abircrumbin 1204 x 1213 Dunf. Reg. no. 144 [the church of Abircrumbin with the teinds of Cult SLN, TOB, CRX granted by Earl Malcolm of Fife to Dunfermline Abbey]
ecclesi<a> de Abircrumbin 1211 x 1213 RRS ii no. 502 [rubric; = Dunf. Reg. no. 53]
ecclesia de Abercrombin’ 1211 x 1213 RRS ii no. 502 [= Dunf. Reg. no. 53]
ecclesi<a> de Abircrumbi 1211 x 1230 Dunf. Reg. no.116 [rubric only; see TOB Introduction for more details]
ecclesia de Abircrumbin 1214 x 1230 Dunf. Reg. no. 129 [rubric]
ecclesiam de Abercrumbin 1214 x 1230 Dunf. Reg. no. 129 [confirmed by Bishop Hugh of Dunkeld to Dunfermline Abbey]
Ab<er>crumbi 1216 Dunf. Reg. no. 253
(land of) Abercromby 1217 Culross Chrs. 70 [granted by Earl Malcolm of Fife to Culross Abbey]
ecclesiam de Abircrumbi 1225 x 1236 Dunf. Reg. no. 106 [Priory of St Andrews’ confirmation of 15 churches in St Andrews diocese to Dunfermline Abbey, incuding the church of Kellie CBE (Kellin) and the church of Abercrumbi]
(land of) Abircrumbin 1227 Dunf. Reg. no. 213
maresii de Abircrumbin 1227 Dunf. Reg. no. 213 [which bog the monks of Culross are in the process of, or intend, draining]
teritorio suo de Abircrumbin 1227 (Easter) Dunf. Reg. no. 214 [sic; Culross Abbey’s territory of Crombie. See TOB Introduction]
ecclesi<a> de Ab<er>crumb’ 1227 (Easter) Dunf. Reg. no. 214
(chapel of) Ab<er>crombi 1227 (September) Dunf. Reg. no. 74 [Alexander II’s general confirmation to Dunfermline Abbey, including church of Kellie CBE (Kellin) and the chapel of Ab<er>crombi]
(teinds of church of) Abircrumb’ 1231 Dunf. Reg. no. 260
(church of) Abircrumbin 1233 Dunf. Reg. no. 267
(church of) Ab<er>crumb’ 1234 Dunf. Reg. no. 272
(shire and lands of) Abercrumby 1234 Culross Chrs. 73
(church of) Abercrumby 1275 Bagimond’s Roll p. 48 [in diocese of Dunkeld; no payment entered]
(chapel of) Abyrcrombin 1277 Dunf. Reg. no. 81 [Alex. III’s general confirmation to Dunfermline Abbey, including the church of Kellie CBE (Kellyn) and the chapel of Abyrcrombin]
(barony of) Abircrummy 1481 Culross Chrs. 90 [concerning land immediately south of the Torry Burn beside Cragflowr feued by the abbot of Culross]
(mill and mill lands of) Crummy 1525 Laing Chrs. no. 350 [mill and mill lands of Crummy called Foddismill]
grangia de Abircrummy 1546 Laing Chrs. no. 507
(barony of) Abircrummye 1546 Laing Chrs. no. 507
(lands of) Crommy 1560 RMS iv no. 1632 [the lands of Crommy and their ‘anchoragiis of mussillis’, and including the teinds belonging to their rectory; part of lands of Culross Abbey]
(the annuals of) Crummye 1561 Dunf. Reg. p. 426 [belonging to Dunfermline Abbey]
the kirk of Crummy 1561 Thirds of Benefices, 95 [one of a list of kirks belonging to Culross Abbey; see also CUS Introduction]
Corne Myln of Crummye 1562 Assumption 290 [John Foddie (Fewthe) pays £5 15s. 8d. and 12 capons]
Walkmyln of Crummy 1562 Assumption 290 [Andrew Wilson (Wilsone) pays £4 20d. and 8 poultry]
(church of) Crummy 1589 RMS v no. 1675 [belonging to Culross Abbey]
(lands of) Crommeyis 1603 RMS vi no. 1402 [the lands of Crommeyis ‘with the anchorage of mussillis and cokillis’ in the lordship of Culross (Culros); these lands are defined as lying between the lands and burn of Torryburne on the west and lie Futheyis-mylne-burne (the Lyne Burn) on the east]
(parish of) Crumbie 1625 Retours (Fife) no. 360 [Foddismyln in parish of Crumbie in lordship of Culross]
Cromby 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Crumby 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Crumby panns 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
(part of) Crombie 1649 Retours (Fife) no. 779 [Part of Crombie within barony of Abircrombie and lordship of Culros]
(barony of) Abircrombie 1649 Retours (Fife) no. 779 [see previous]
(barony of) Crumbie 1662 Retours (Fife) no. 928
Crombie 1753 Roy sheet 17, 5
Crombie Barns 1753 Roy sheet 17, 5
Crombie Pans 1753 Roy sheet 17, 5
Crumbie 1775 Ainslie/Fife [shows Crombie at c.NT047844, south of OS Pathf. Crombie, by Kinniny Braes; it also shows pier at Crumbie Point]
Crumbie Point 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Cromie Town 1828 SGF
Cromie Point 1828 SGF

Pictish * aber + en Cromb or Crombie

‘Mouth of the Cromb or Crombie’. The burn in question is either the Torry Burn or the Lyne Burn (see TOB Introductory Notes).The –ie ending, earlier –in, is best seen as the locational suffix meaning ‘place of’, added to the whole name, so ‘place of or at the mouth of the Cromb burn’.

The burn-name contains G crom, OIr cromb ‘bent, bent one’. Given the conservative nature of water-course-names, and given also that it is in combination with the Pictish *aber, Watson is probably correct in surmising that it is a G adaptation of a Pictish term of similar meaning (1926, 461–2). Since the Welsh equivalent is crwm, the Pictish may not in fact have been very different from the G.

Compare Allt a’ Chrombaidh, a tributary of the River Garry near Calvine PER, which flows through Gleann a’ Chrombaidh; also Dalcrombie, Daviot and Dunlichity parish INV, which Watson renders Dul-chrombaidh, interpreting the specific as the gen. of crombadh ‘bending’ (Watson, loc. cit.).

The earliest example I have found of the name without aber is from 1525.

The Grange of (Aber)crombie first mentioned in 1546, and presumably belonging to Culross Abbey, lay near Waukmill TOB, CRX and the Lyne Burn, which forms the eastern march of both the lands and parish of CRX.

Note that the NGR given is for the old parish church by the shore. The present settlement of Crombie lies nearly 2 km to the east.

OS Pathf. also shows Crombie Pier, Crombie Point (applied to a settlement, shown on Ainslie/Fife (1775), as Cockletree and on SGF (1828) as Cromie Point), and Crombie Farm. Either OS Pathf. Crombie or Crombie Farm is shown on Ainslie/Fife as Crache. The old parish church (Crumbie Kirk on Ainslie/Fife) is marked on OS Pathf. as ‘Church (rems of)’. OS Pathf. also shows another pier, some 800 m long, also called Crombie Pier, nearly 2 km south of Crombie, at what is called on Ainslie/Fife Kinniny Point (NT047840).

/ˈkrɔmbɪ/

This place-name appeared in printed volume 1