Powys 1562 Assumption 291 [one of the lands of Culross Abbey, mentioned after the Waulkmill of Crombie TOB, CRX (the Walkmyln of Crummy) and Vanles Aikaris (unidentified), and before Earlsferry in Fife (Erlysferry in Fyf). John Callender pays for Powys 44s. Its identification with Pow SLN is doubtful]215
Pow 1621 Retours (Fife) no. 928 [part of the lands of Cult (Quyltis)]
Bow Uandy 1753 Roy sheet 17, 5
Pow 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Pow 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn.
This farm (named on on OS Explorer (2001) as Pow Farm) derives its name from the Pow Burn, a remarkable water-course which links the Gairney Water, running east into Loch Leven, and the Gairney Burn, running west into the River Devon. It probably derives from Sc pow ‘slow-moving ditch-like stream flowing through carse land’ (CSD), which itself is a loan-word from G poll ‘pool, slow water, wet meadow’.
OS Pathf. also shows Pow Bridge (also on OS 6 inch in 1855). The Pow Burn here forms the northern boundary of SLN FIF with Fossoway parish KNR.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1