Capledrae ADN S NT186976 1 384 105m SEF
Capildrayth c.1290 x 1296 Fraser, Wemyss ii no. 3
(lands of) Capildray 1395 St A. Lib. 3 [of the barony of Lochore]
Capildra 1458 RMS ii no. 638
Capildra 1526 RMS iii no. 403 [see Balgreggie ADN for more details]
Kapildrae 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Kaple Drey 1753 Roy sheet 17, 5
Capledrae 1828 SGF
G capall + ? G tràigh
‘Horse shore’? This is usually interpreted as containing G capall ‘(work-)horse’ + G treabh ‘farm, settlement’, or its Pictish cognate *trev. Watson gives this interpretation his tentative endorsement (1926, 363–4), since when it has become received wisdom (see for example Nicolaisen 1976, 169). However, this analysis was offered on the basis of forms such as Capildra(y) without the benefit of the thirteenth-century form Capildrayth. This suggests rather G tr?igh or even its Pictish cognate, close in form to its Welsh cognate traeth, both meaning ‘shore, sand’. Although inland, Capledrae did lie on the southern shore of the large bog formerly known as Boglochty, and it is conceivable that this is the shore referred to in the name. The first element may then have been the Pictish cognate of G capall, rather than the G word itself. A Pictish derivation might also explain the order of the elements, which within a G context is rare and early (with specific first, generic second).
This is one of two early names in the parish referring to horses, the other being Balgreggie.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1