(George Artht of) Smetone 1513 Laing Chrs. no. 297
(George Erth of) Smithtoune 1516 Fife Ct. Bk. 29
(George Erth of) Smythtoune 1518 Fife Ct. Bk. 75
(George Arth of) Smetoun 1529 RMS iii no. 771
Smetoun 1556 x 1585 RMS v no. 843 [see KDT, KXY Introduction]
New Smetoun 1634 RMS ix no. 164
Auld Smetoune 1634 RMS ix no. 164
Smetoun 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
E Smeaton 1775 Ainslie/Fife
W Smeaton 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Smeiton Easter 1787 Sasines no. 1614
Smeaton 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn
Sc smith + Sc toun
‘Smith’s or smiths’ farm’. This is the Sc equivalent of Balgonie ADN and MAI, Balgownie CUS, and Balgove SSL.
From the formation of AAX until 1891, East Smeaton (today occupied by Victoria and Whiteman’s Brae Hospitals) and Smeaton Row lay in a detached part of AAX surrounded by KXY, for more details of which (see KDT AAX Introduction above). Smeaton is now a housing estate in northern Kirkcaldy, but OS 6 inch (1856) shows the eponymous farm at the above NGR in the southern part of the modern estate.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1