Sinclairton 1790s OSA, 327 [‘Sinclairton situated on Sinclair estate’]
Sinclairtown 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn.
pn Sinclair + SSE town
This was a new part or ‘suburb’ of Pathhead (for which see Dunnikier above), built c.1750 on the estate of the Sinclairs, earls of Rosslyn, hence the specific (OSA, 327 and NSA vol. ix, 139). The Sinclairs were major land-holders here from 1470 (see Ravenscraig KDT above). Though Sinclairtown was built c.1750, neither Ainslie/Fife (1775) nor SGF (1828) shows it. The area is now a large suburb on the north-east side of Kirkcaldy, so the NGR given is for that part of the area shown on OS 6 inch (1856) where Sinclairtown Station and Sinclairtown Bank are situated, though these are at the south end of what is shown on the 1856 map as a long street-side ribbon development.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1