Skarris 1647 RMS ix no. 1833 [one of the lands of Abbotshall q.v.]
Skarrs 1654 Blaeu (Pont) West Fife
Skaris 1665 RMS xi no. 731
Skarres 1665 RMS xi no. 844
Skarris 1666 RMS xi no. 881
Scars 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Scarrs 1782 Sasines no. 385 [‘Scarrs, Goatbie, Mounthoolie and teinds’]
The Scars 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn.
The Scars 1956 OS 2.5 inch
‘The precipices or steep, eroded hills’. It is found also in the St Andrews street-name The Scores (referring to the cliffs below it), as well as in Scaur Hill, one of the Cleish Hills (NO05 96), just over the county boundary in Cleish KNR. Scaur Hill has an exposed rock-face on its west side. The element is also found in Scaur Hill IKG.
The Scars refers to the north-east end of Raith Hill, west of Sauchenbush, and it is this relief feature which supplies the above NGR. It was, however, the name of a settlement, shown as such on Ainslie/Fife (1775), which lay by the steep southern slope of OS Pathf. Castle Hill (NT264915) and the equally steep OS Pathf. Sunnybrae Plantation, which latter forms the southern flank of OS 2.5 inch The Scars. It was most likely one of these precipitous features which gave rise to the name.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1