Boglochty ~ ADN VW NT2098 1 385
Moneloccodhan 1040 x 1057 St A. Lib. 114 [part of the boundaries of the lands of Kirkness and Pethmokanne granted to St Serf’s monastery]
marresium de Monlochty 1395 St A. Lib. 3
Boglochty 1642 Gordon MS Fife
Bog Lochty 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Boig-Lochtie 1698 Retours (Fife) no. 1404
Boglochty 1753 Roy sheet 17, 5
Sc bog (earlier G mòine ) + en Lochty
‘Lochty bog’. The first element is G mòine ‘moss, bog’ followed by the burn-name Lochty (for which see above, p. 47). Its transformation into Boglochty, which took place between 1395 and the mid-seventeenth century, kept the G word-order, and simply substituted the Sc loan-word from G bog. The bog of Boglochty gave rise to farms on either side of it viz Bogside Portmoak KNR and Boghead ADN (both 1828 SGF), which appear as North Bogside and South Bogside respectively on Ainslie/Fife (1775) and OS 6 inch 1st edn. (1856). Ainslie/Fife also shows Boghall to the east of South Bogside. All have been swallowed up by the enormous Westfield opencast coal-workings, as has Boglochty itself.
According to OS Name Book 8, 37 (1853 × 1856), Boglochty was ‘a pretty large tract of land, formerly a moss but now partly arable and partly rough pasture. It lies on both sides of Lochty Burn, between Whinnyhall Bridge and Capledrae Colliery’. It lay partly in Fife, partly in Kinross.
On Blaeu (Pont) West Fife map (1654) it also appears as a loch, with two islands, but is not named.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1