Bridge of Orr 1753 Roy sheet 18, 1
Orebridge 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Orr Bridge 1828 SGF
Ore Bridge 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn. [and Ore Bridge Works]
Ore Bridge 1897 OS 1 inch 2nd edn.
en Ore + SSE bridge
The bridge which gave rise to the name of this small settlement on the south (DSX) side of the Ore once carried the main road north from Kirkcaldy and Dysart towards what Owen Silver calls ‘the hub of the Fife road system, the New Inn’, formerly called Pittillockford (by Pittillock FAL) (1987, 117). He implies that this ‘fine stone bridge’ had been built in the early part of the eighteenth century (1987, 114, 116–17). It was certainly in existence by the mid-eighteenth century, when it is marked on Roy’s military map of 1753.
The name does not appear on the OS Pathf., but reappears on OS Explorer (2001). The main road north has been superseded by the new A92, which crosses the Ore a few hundred metres to the north-east.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1