Gaidbie 1647 RMS ix no. 1833 [part of the lands of Abbotshall (Abbottishall)]
Gaitvie 1665 RMS xi no. 844
Geddie 1666 RMS xi no. 881
Goatbie 1782 Sasines no. 385
Gedbys 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn.
? ON geit , + ON bý(r)
‘She-goat farm’. It lay on the north-eastern slopes of Raith Hill, on the lands of Abbotshall. Adjacent to Gedbys is The Scars, also on OS 6 inch (1856), with which Gedbys is always associated in the RMS charters. Both names are now obsolete. OS Name Book (11, 19) describes Gedbys as ‘a cultivated piece of ground on the south side of Long Brae Plantation on which a farm of that name was formerly situate’. The final s is probably a possessive, a contraction of Gedby’s Land or the Gedby’s Field. It has now been built on, Balmoral Drive, Beaufort Crescent, Skibo Place and Melville Place covering the lands marked as Gedbys on OS 6 inch 1st edn.
Gedbys is one of a handful of ON place-names containing bý ‘farm’ scattered through central Scotland, with at least four others in Fife. For more on these, see Introduction, this volume. See also Taylor in Williams and Bibire 2004.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1