Carberry

Carberry KDT DSX S NT284947 1 95m

Carbarry 1460 RMS ii no. 746 [to Queen Mary the lands of Dysart (Disart) viz Wilstoune, Carbarry and Dubbo resigned by Walter Ramsay]
Carberrie 1517 Fife Ct. Bk. 399 [Ravenscraig, Wilkiston and Carberrie]
Carnbarry 1517 Purves 155
(lands of) Wilstoun 1547 RMS iv no. 116 [lands of Wilstoun, Carbarry and Balbegy.]
Carberrie 1699 Retours (Fife) no. 1431
Carawbery 1753 Roy sheet 18, 1
Carbury 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Kirberry 1828 SGF

? G * cair + ? G bàrr + ? – in

‘Fort of the hill (place)’? This etymology must remain tentative, until earlier forms can be found. Carberry MLO shows the danger of etymologising this name in the absence of early forms. It appears in the middle of the twelfth century as Crefbarrin (Dunf. Reg. no. 2; and Watson 1926, 143), indicating that the first element is G craobh ‘tree’.

The NSA (vol. ix, 134) notes that the Romans are said to have had a station at Carberry. No other information is given, and the statement is most probably based on an overenthusiastic interpretation of the Car-element. The claim was investigated by the RCAHMS, first in 1971, when it concluded that ‘no trace remains’, and again more recently, when ‘indeterminate remains’ were found (at NGR NT284947); see NMRS number NT29SE 28.

For the possible extent of Carberry’s lands, see *Wilston below.

OS Pathf. shows Carberry Reservoirs; OS Explorer (2001) shows Carberry itself, supplying the above NGR.

This place-name appeared in printed volume 1